In-Line fuel filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In-Line fuel filters

My XS1100G/ 1980 had been stored for ten years before I acuired it. Carbs and petcocks have been rebuilt now and the tank looks pretty good. I would like to go the extra mile though and install in line filters as well. I'm not sure what to look for in an inline filter as far as brand or size. Are these filters flow rated? If so what flow rate should I look for?

I don't know about "flow rated", but I picked up some inline filters at the local hardware store, like you use on a lawn mower, been running them over a year(changed them out after about six months) with no problems. Later 'Dog

Comment

I got mine at my local yama - robber. I found the easiest routing for the lines on my Std. was to cross the #1 to the #4 tank petcock & run the #4 line to the #1. The lines & filters lay over the intake boots. This avoids problems w/ crimping. I change them at oil change & keep a spare pair on the bike.
      Ken
      '79 xs1100f
      '79 xs1100sf

Comment

I picked up inline filters from my local dirt bike shop. They seem to work fine. On a Standard, you can extend your range by installing "T"s in the fuel lines to join the two petcocks. I also run the left side to the right petcock and right to the left. This makes it very easy to remove the tank and permit putting the tank on back wards (over the seat area) for carb tuning.
        DZ
        Vyger, 'F'
        "The Special", 'SF'
        '08 FJR1300

Comment

Denny,
          Do you mind posting a photo of what you've done linking the petcocks together??
          Don
          99 Valkyrie Interstate named Drakker

81 XS1100 H Peppylebleu sold and gone to a good home

81 XS1100 Midnight Special Peppyledeux sold and gone to another great home

Comment

Get mine at Wally world in the lawnmower section. They even come with some fuel line and a couple of clamps $2.49 I think. I have the lines crossed as well, must have read that here somewhere.
            Russ Neal
            Milton, NH
            04 GL1800 ABS
            04 Kawasaki Concours(Sold)
            99 Royal Star Venture(Sold)
            80 XS1000 Special(Sold)
            83 XJ750 Midnight Maxim(Sold)
            80 XS1100G(Sold)
            81 XS 650 Special(Sold)

Comment

They recommend against running the small see hrough ones with the 'crushed brass' looking filter. They work great but plug up quickly with no warning. Get a filter made for high flow rates and change it at least once a year.
              Gary Granger
              Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
              2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Do you mind posting a photo of what you've done linking the petcocks together??
                DZ
                Vyger, 'F'
                "The Special", 'SF'
                '08 FJR1300

Comment

Same here, small 3/4" diameter filters, replaced every 6 months, but I put mine out of sight between the carbs. The 850 triple has 2 fuel lines that feed "T" connectors between the 3 carbs on the bank.
                  Carpe Diem!
                  1980 XS850G
                  1973 CT70

Comment

Thanks Denny.
                    Don
                    99 Valkyrie Interstate named Drakker

81 XS1100 H Peppylebleu sold and gone to a good home

81 XS1100 Midnight Special Peppyledeux sold and gone to another great home

Comment

I discovered that I was running out of gas on the right side due to kick stand parking. I now can go at least another 30 miles before going on reserve.

Also, this creates two reserves. I found that I can switch the right petcock first and then 35+ miles later switch the left petcock.

I have not run out of gas on the left petcock because I head straight to a gas station. The best I have done so far was 11 miles on the left petcock. When I refilled, I put in 5.15 gallons. My total range on that tank was 191 miles (37.0 mpg).

Having two reserves is a great piece of mind when out on those back roads in the middle of no where. I still carry a 1/2 gallon of extra fuel just for emergencies. I seem to always be pushing how far I can go on a tank. It drives my wife nuts (riding a special). She has run out many times.
                      DZ
                      Vyger, 'F'
                      "The Special", 'SF'
                      '08 FJR1300

Comment

Working...
                      X