Milky Gear oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milky Gear oil

Well now, I know when oil and seawater mix it comes out looking something like milk, but my bike has never been used as a submarine, yet, but it couldnt work any worse than the Cdn. Navys leaky subs......No Phill I never found the entry point of the water, but I suspect other XS owners have had the same problem. Perhaps they would enlighten us.

Speakers!!!Like maybe a Cerwin Vega or Toshiba or Technics. Never heard of Marshall Stacks .....suppose theres lots of room for newbies in that field..

Bruce
    Bruce Doucette
    Phone #1 902 827 3217

Probably just condensation creeping past a gasket or when the fill plug was opened. On a hot humid day when the internal are cool it's a magnet for moisture. Breakdown might also have something to do with it.

That's my guess and I'm sticking to it (until I change my mind in the presence of any slightly better guess ).

Comment

There is a breather tube going to the bottom of your airbox to the gearbox. Check it out?? The usual way it can get milky is moisture,
      1980 XS1100LG Midnight Special "Widow Maker"
      1999 Royal Star Tour Classic

T.J. Trahan

Comment

A friend of mine had this problem with his Midnight Special. Well, crankcase anyway, don't think it was the middle box. Short hops, without getting the engine warmed up to operating temperature doesn't allow the moisture to vapourize and get vented out the crankcase breather. Could be the same reason for the middle box.
        Brian
        1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
        1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
        remembering the same thing!

Comment

Milky gear oil

I've just done Total oil changes on my '79 SF and noticed the oil in the middle gear case was really contaminated with water. when I serviced the bike in May, there was no sign of any water then. I've recently been cleaning the bike with a Karcher (1850 psi) so I've assumed that the seal around the vent must be letting water get past when under high pressure. I now am very careful when cleaning that part of the gearbox and it shows no sign of water ingress now. Do you use a pressure washer to clean your bike?
          79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
          Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
          *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
          *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Re: Milky gear oil

Originally posted by Eveready1100
            I've just done Total oil changes on my '79 SF and noticed the oil in the middle gear case was really contaminated with water. when I serviced the bike in May, there was no sign of any water then. I've recently been cleaning the bike with a Karcher (1850 psi) so I've assumed that the seal around the vent must be letting water get past when under high pressure. I now am very careful when cleaning that part of the gearbox and it shows no sign of water ingress now. Do you use a pressure washer to clean your bike?

I don't know about XSs and power washing, but my 02 R1100S specifically says to NOT pressure wash the bike.

Comment

Working...
            X