ACCEL COILS, Quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACCEL COILS, Quality?

I was considering installing Accel coils part# 140403 on my 78'E XS1100. Would this be a good choice or not? I have heard some conflicting opinions about the quality and application of these parts. I have heard that sometimes the part they say is for your application isn't correct and can damage your ignition system. If you have had any experience with these parts please post.
    Dan ( A.K.A.- MacGyver )

Hey there Dan,

You didn't mention where you got that Part#, I found it on MAW's web site, and that is the correct # for the NON-CDI type coil which has a primary resistance of 3.0 ohms. Accel doesn't make them with the 1.5ohms which is what is stock on your bike.

However, your bike uses the ballast resistor, which drops the voltage from 12 to 9, and adds about 1.5 ohms to the circuit that is going to the TCI unit. So if you use the Accels the resistance to the TCI is about the same, PROVIDED you remove/permanently bypass your Ballast resistor so that the new coils will get their full 12 volts. Using a slightly higher resistance is not harmful to the TCI vs. using a much lower resistance ie. the 0.7ohms of the CDI type coils! That very low resistance allows too much current thru the TCI and that's what can fry it!

The ballast resistor is used to keep from frying the coils with full 12 volts, but is bypassed during the starting phase to provide stronger sparks for starting, then it is engaged(controlled by TCI) once started. The newer coils are designed for 12 volts, even the Dynas that are listed at 6volts!!

Dyna coils make the 1.5 ohm type coils for our bikes, and so they are a direct install without removing the ballast resistor. Your choice!

Here are the links to the Tech tips:
    Coil FAQ
    Dyna Coil Upgrade
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
    X