stoped runing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stoped runing

i was riding last night and my 79 xs11 just quit .all power works that i can see try to start it will run then back firer and stop
    Joe Bjordahl
    “speed don't kill it’s the sudden stops”
    Yamaha xs1100 are addictive
    1979 XS1100S
    1981 XS1100 MIDNIGHT
    1982 XS1100S DONER BIKE

Hey, Joe

When was the last time you adjusted your cam chain? It's possible it jumped a tooth or two from being too loose. Or, your timing plate / pickup assembly moved?

At this point, without more info it's hard to pin down, I'm making some guesses.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that this is just the beginning of a long thread.

Randy

Comment

As Randy eluded to, this thread will probably run for a while!! With it starting and then crapping out once it starts, could be the Ballast resistor gone bad, it get's bypassed during the startup, but is put back in circuit once bike starts?

Highly recommend you check thoroughly your fuses, the holders and such. What have you done to your bike, how did you get it.... lifetime owner or new acquisition, etc.. There are many things that can cause a sudden stop! The notorious Pickup Coils, worn/broken solder joints in the TCI, etc. You'll need to do some investigating and then get back with what you have done/found !
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

i just got back from checking it out . it is 10 miles away from home so till i get it here it will be a slow go. checked pick up wire they have been done poorly will go back and redo . if i keep the start on bike will run nice let go it stops . where is the ballast resister at . thanks for the info so far
        Joe Bjordahl
        1979 XS1100S
        1981 XS1100 MIDNIGHT
        1982 XS1100S DONER BIKE

Comment

The ballast resistor is under the tank, on the left side frame rail. It is a metal component, it's silver in color, and it has two wires protruding from it. If you unplug and bypass this and it runs, then the resistor is bad. If you have a multi meter, you can check it for continuity, resistance, and to check the voltage coming out. It should be about 9 volts.

Comment

thank you all for the help it was the ballast resistor . got a new one from work (i work wholesale auto parts) got a good price on it . but need to redo the pick ups and i will be good to go . thanks again you guys are great
            Joe Bjordahl
            1979 XS1100S
            1981 XS1100 MIDNIGHT
            1982 XS1100S DONER BIKE

Comment

Working...
            X