pollished wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pollished wheels

Any one ever try to polish the mag wheels from a xj? i have an extra front wheel and i am thinking about polishing it and putting it on my V Star. I have not seen one that has been polished but i would think it would clean up ok???
    DN

I have stripped the paint from all three of my XS11 wheels. I recommend that you do it with the tire removed so that you can use paint stripper and not worry about compromizing the rubber. The 78E wheels were easier to strip than the 81's. Different kind of paint? You really can't polish the bumpy sections very easily because it tends to collect polishing compound. Also, the flat sided "spokes" are difficult to maintain with the brake disks in the way.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

polished wheels

I have this wheel already tireless and the brake rotor is off, I am thinking of bead blasting the wheel first to see if that will clean it up and maybe smooth out the rough spots on it. I will give it a try and see what happens, i think it would b a good looking wheel polished out, even if i had to have it done professionally it has to be cheaper than the 800 bucks for a polished front wheel that most of the new ones are going for.
      DN

Comment

I have polished the outer rim, and to where it just turns in. I base coat clear coated the rest. Looks really good.

Comment

Rough spots on the rims are from the casting. Even using a die grinding brown and blue pads rough spots are hard to get out. Also used etching primer and filler primer. There still was a few spots that aren't smooth.

Comment

How about a picture?
            Carpe Diem!
            1980 XS850G
            1973 CT70

Comment

Working...
            X