Stuck Oil Sump Pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck Oil Sump Pan

Anyone have an idea on how to get a stuck oil sump pan off. It won't budge one bit even after knocking on it for the past half hour with a rubber mallet? Tried heating it with a halogen lamp, still no go.

Any danger in taking a propane torch to it? Am I missing something obvious? I triple checked to make sure all bolts have been removed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm so close to getting this baby back on the road.

Thanks!
    AdamOdes
    82 XJ1100 - Old Blue

Try sticking a wooden dowel in the oil drain hole and prying it off that way. Maybe a gasket scraper placed at the the joint of pan to case, and lightly tapped with a hammer. Sounds like you have a very stuck gasket. Do you have a razor knife? If so , try to tap it in between the oil pan and the case. maybe a screw driver stuck in the drain hole and pry down. The torch won't hurt the aluminum. It doesn't get hot enough.
    Good luck

Comment

As long as you're sure you've got all 14 bolts out, it has to come off. If it was installed with a liquid gasket, it may have been effectively glued on. You might need to get in with a thin bladed scraper to cut in through the gasket at one point then work your way around cutting and twisting with the scraper to get it loose.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

caution

Hey adam, DON'T be affraid. if you must pry on the pan make sure you pry TOWARDS the pan. you do NOT want to dent the motor side of things. the pan you have is already munked up so you can be a little harsh on it.
        1982 XJ 1100
        going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
        now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Re: Stuck Oil Sump Pan

Originally posted by AdamOdes
          Anyone have an idea on how to get a stuck oil sump pan off. It won't budge one bit even after knocking on it for the past half hour with a rubber mallet? Tried heating it with a halogen lamp, still no go.

Any danger in taking a propane torch to it? Am I missing something obvious? I triple checked to make sure all bolts have been removed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm so close to getting this baby back on the road.

Thanks!
          It sounds like you've missed a bolt somewhere. Clean it up and look for any bolt heads that are covered with dirt and crud.

Geezer
          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Success - Thanks to all!

Success..

One solid thwack with a standard hammer is all it took.

Plop, it fell right off - beautiful!!

Thank you everyone for your expertise and encouragement!

AdamOdes
            AdamOdes
            82 XJ1100 - Old Blue

Comment

Working...
            X