Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I finally found something wrong with the XS11 !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finally found something wrong with the XS11 !

...I *LOVE* my 1980 XS11SG, and am amazed daily with it's power-range, handling, response, it's sound, it's looks, and haven't found ONE single thing I didn't like about this bike...
    ...this morning it's ONE and only flaw was shown to me - the thermometer finally went near freezing in my area, and THIS bike is *VERY* "cold-blooded" and was hard to start (or I shall say 'warm up').
    Once on the freeway *IT* did better than I did - ran FAST, smooth, etc.

While at the shop it's brought in and kept by the other machinery, and out of the weather. At home it took the place of our '57 F100, and a small heater, or at least a 100W light bulb is going to keep my 'baby' warm at night. I've had about a dozen bikes since I started riding back in the late '60s, but this is the 1st bike I've ever been 'attached to'...

1980 XS1100SG

I have one that was cold blooded like that. I had to pull the "choke" lever all the way out and use no throttle to get it to fire. If you twist the throttle, the choke vacuum is disabled while you do. Once she wakes from sleep, I can blip the throttle and then ease the choke to the middle position, and so on...
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

"this morning it's ONE and only flaw was shown to me - the thermometer finally went near freezing in my area, and THIS bike is *VERY* "cold-blooded" and was hard to start (or I shall say 'warm up').
      Once on the freeway *IT* did better than I did - ran FAST, smooth, etc."

Ah come on now Uncle, it never gets cold in California??

Just like it never rains there ether...

I wonder if we can still buy a Dipstick Oil Heater to plug in to these to keep the oil warm and flowing. Years ago my dad used to use one of these back in Colorado on his '53 F-100!
      Bubba1954
      (aka) Shannon Koehn
      Hutchinson, KS
      http://www.fototime.com/inv/0EE87CEC5C8C774

Comment

...it's *NOT* normal on an XS11 to have to pull the choke ALL the way out to get it started?? I've had to do this from 'day one' - and after 45-90 seconds the RPMs go up and then the choke can be pushed in, and it can be ridden away... it's always run purrrrrfect with balanced carbs - AFTER warming up...

...I guess I'm a Wuss; when the temp. is below 40° F and you're moving along >80mph it gets *COLD* with the wind chill factor

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

The only thing wrong with my XS is that my arms hurt after riding from the acceleration

Hurts so good!

Randy

Comment

yeah unclespot mine is the same way.

but it doesn't mind the cold at all. starter is a little sticky, that's all.

Comment

&quot;starter is a little sticky&quot;

...my starter, once-in-a-while, DISengages and just spins for a second or two. ...then I can try the starter button again. ...what causes this? In the troubleshooting section of the shop manual this isn't even mentioned.

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Most likely it's the sprag clutch in the starter drive. The thick oil won't allow the clutch to engage. try a thinner oil in the cold weather.

Comment

My XS starter would drag when cold. It would make a winny groan sound once the motor started. I took the gear reduction apart and found the grease old and dried out. Cleaned it good and regreased it. No more noise and the starter seems to crank faster. Could be a simple fix.

"starter is a little sticky"
                  DZ
                  Vyger, 'F'
                  "The Special", 'SF'
                  '08 FJR1300

Comment

starter letgo

I'd always thought it was because of a weak battery.. if I double up another battery it cranks better and doesn't 'let go' and just spin. Do you have a picture of the gear reduction cover so I can locate it? I'd like to have a crack at it myself...

Comment

It is on the end of the starter motor. Once the starter motor is removed fromt he bike, two bolts removes the gear reduction from the motor. It is very simple. A drive spline on the motor, two planitary gears and a ring gear.
                      DZ
                      Vyger, 'F'
                      "The Special", 'SF'
                      '08 FJR1300

Comment

And while you have the motor out, Parts n More has brand new brushes for it. Might as well do it up! clean up the commutator, and it'll work like new. When you put the motor back, make sure the mounting surfaces on the engine and the motor are clean, that's your negative connection.

Randy

Comment

??????

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the starter clutch inside the engine and don't the cases have to split to access it? That is what my Clymer manual says.

Comment

Yes, the started drive clutch is inside the case. The motor and gear reduction are outside the case.
                            DZ
                            Vyger, 'F'
                            "The Special", 'SF'
                            '08 FJR1300

Comment

Working...
                            X