Gasket Making Products - Do or Don't

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gasket Making Products - Do or Don't

The fading shreds of Indian Summer warmth are fading away and I am sitting here without a bike waiting for a replacement OEM oil pan gasket to arrive and am wondering in desparation...

Do gasket making compounds such as Permatex Black 598 make dependable, long lasting gaskets when applied properly?

If possible, please share your experience.
    Do
    100.00%
    Do NOT
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

AdamOdes
    82 XJ1100 - Old Blue

The best thing that I have found for a gasket sealer/replacement is Yamabond, or a similar product called three bond. It stays flexible when cured and is recommended by Yamaha. I've used it many times with good results. It is used to seal the crankcase halves during assembly/reassembly.

Comment

I use something called 'The Right Stuff'. It's made by GM and comes in an aerosol can, like ready-whip. It's liquid rubber. I've used it on everything except high heat applications, on all sorts of engines. Good product. Available at most auto parts stores.

Randy

Comment

I like Yamabond #4.
        DZ
        Vyger, 'F'
        "The Special", 'SF'
        '08 FJR1300

Comment

Yamabond 4 seems a popular choice. I might give it a shot.

I have the mating faces scraped where they feel pretty smooth although there are a few dark spots where there is still some old gasket left over. I'm afraid the faces will get damaged if they get scraped anymore.

How clean do the mating faces have to be? What do you clean the faces with before applying the Yamabond?

Thanks
          AdamOdes
          AdamOdes
          82 XJ1100 - Old Blue

Comment

Down here gaskets for XS11's can't be found without big dramas. I use a tube of black gasket silicon. Works perfectly and no leaks. Just clean the surfaces with petrol and a rag.

Comment

You may need a chemical gasket remover if you can't scrape off the remaining gasket material. A light sanding may work. The Yamabond by staying plyable, will help to fill in any irregularities in the mating surfaces. Be generous with it. If it oozes out, just let it set up, and it will just roll off the cases by rubbing it with your fingers. It doesn't stick very well to my painetd cases, it just rubs right off.

Comment

Replacement Gaskets

Why not buy some bulk gasket material from an auto supply store and make your own gaskets? You want to purchase "Vellumoid" gasket paper. Available in many different thicknesses. Get some. Lay on flat surface. Place your oil pan on it. Trace out, if you put a light smear of oil on the mating surface before placing on the gasket material it will leave an outline that is easy to cut out with scissors. Take a hole punch and create your bolt holes and you are back in business.
                Ken/Sooke
                78E Ratbyk
                82 FT500 "lilRat"
                92 ZX11 Temptress

Comment

I have used both gasket maker and bulk gasket material with good resullts, altho my preference is the gasket material WITH a gasket sealer of some form. Doesn't seem to matter how clean I get the mating surfaces, I ALWAYS seem to get a leak!!

My nephew (small engine, snow mobile mechanic) swears by Permatex products.

In addtion to what Ken suggested, you can also use the part you are making the gasket for to cut the gasket. Lay the gasket material on the part, make a couple of bolt holes for locating purposes, and gently tap along the edge with a hammer and it will cut the gasket for you. Works best on cast iron parts of course, but I've been successful using it on aluminimum as well
                  Brian
                  1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
                  1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
                  remembering the same thing!

Comment

One of my favorite Permatex products is Aviation Gasket Sealer. Perfect for the valve covers and anything else that you'll need to take apart and re-use the gasket a couple of times. Comres in a can with a brush attached to the cap.

Indian Head = BAD

Permatex = GOOD

Randy

Comment

DITTO ....good enuff for a plane auta be good enuff fer a bike!
                      Garry
                      '79 SF "Battle Cat"
                      outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

I asked a local motorcycle shop owner about this issue and he stated, "go ahead and you'll get real good at takin' the oil pan off and putting it back on". So I take it he meant, NOT a good idea. On the flip side, heck getting good at working on oil pans could really pay off in being able to help a fellow XS/XJ'r in the future.

Sounds like making a gasket from bulk material and sealing it with Aviation gasket sealer would make one heck of a monster gasket.
                        AdamOdes
                        82 XJ1100 - Old Blue

Comment

I had to remove my clutch cover, so I made a gasket from some thin gasket paper, and I used the Yamabond, on both sides of the gasket paper with good results. No leaks at all. The same for the shift linkage cover on the left side, and the middle gear.

Comment

Gaskets

You should not encounter any leaking problems if!
                            1. Both mating surfaces are "flat", no warp-age.
                            2. All old gasket material has been removed from both mating surfaces.
                            3. There are no gouges or grooves scraped into the mating surfaces.
                            4. You torque the bolts alternately to proper torque. Do not gorilla the bolts down and crush out your gasket.
                            Follow these common sense procedures and you will only do the job once.
                            Ken/Sooke
                            78E Ratbyk
                            82 FT500 "lilRat"
                            92ZX11 Temptress

Comment

I use a piece of velluoid, put it on a flat surface (plywood), clamp it down. Then I use a drill slightly smaller that the holes and drill them out. Then trace the outside, remove the clamps, figure out what the width of the gasket surface is, draw it on the material, cut out the inside, then the outside, yamabond one side, spray the other with Pam, and install. I have only cut one gasket for each part so far. With the Pam spray, it is easy to remove the part without ruining the gasket. Never had a leak. By drilling the holes slightly smaller than the bolts, I can start enough bolts just into the gasket to keep it from moving when installing the part. I try to put the yamabond (or you can use your favorite gasket cement) on the part, easier to clean it off, should it become necessary.
                              put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
                              79 F (Blueballs)
                              79 SF (Redbutt)
                              81 LH (organ donor)
                              79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
                              76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
                              rover has spoken

Comment

Working...
                              X