LED 1157 / 1156 bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED 1157 / 1156 bulbs

Has anyone tried the straight replacment led's or the ones that create a continous circle of lights and then flash when brake is applied? Or would it be better to try the mod that TC developed?
    I recently hung a sidecar on my 80 SG and it is pulling the power big time. Sidecar has a brake light three clearance lights and a turn signal light. Plus an LED bar brake light.
    Dan
    Delightfully Tacky,Socially unacceptable but yet unrefined
    81 XS Special with hack. We call her White lightning XSpectacular

You can try putting a small car or marine battery in the side car. as long as its the right volts, you shouldnt hurt any electrical components. then you'll have plenty left over when you need them for the lights, and it can take its sweet time recharging on the strait-aways.
    1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

I use JamStraight LED bulbs for the tail light and for the turn signals in the vetter faring. Be aware, these things tend to direct light nearly straight out and therefore can not be used in the signal stalks.

Originally posted by brock
      You can try putting a small car or marine battery in the side car. as long as its the right volts, you shouldnt hurt any electrical components. then you'll have plenty left over when you need them for the lights, and it can take its sweet time recharging on the strait-aways.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

JamSTraight LEDs

Sid,

Where can one pick up those JamStraight LEDs??? They sound interesting. Was there any change in blinker operation after the install?

indy
        Indy Rick
        '91 Venture Royale
        '03 Bandit 1200S
        XS 1100F (2)
        XS 1100SF (2)
        XS1100G
        XS 1100SG
        XS 1100H
        Turbo SECA
        1100 Virago

Comment

Re: JamSTraight LEDs

The blinker unit must be replaced with an electronic one, which blinks pretty fast. Otherwise, the bulbs are plug and play. They just don't draw enough current to make the OEM blinker switch operate. I should mention that I use them as tail/brake lights and they work well. I also use them on turn signals BUT I have not used LEDs for all 4 turn signals (yet). One bike has them in the front faring and one bike has LEDs for the rear signals (I bastardized those turn signals heavily!) JamStraight has a website. I have tried several other brands that were not worth a damn. JamStraights bulbs for the 1157 are all on as runners and all brighten with the brake. This is the most important difference that I have found between the makes.

Originally posted by indyrick
          Sid,

Where can one pick up those JamStraight LEDs??? They sound interesting. Was there any change in blinker operation after the install?

indy
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Have you considered running an alternator off the third wheel? It would only be charging when you are moving, but your bikes charging system is that way also.

You could attach a pulley to the rim and run a regular car alternator under the side car.
            DZ
            Vyger, 'F'
            "The Special", 'SF'
            '08 FJR1300

Comment

I bought a pair to replace tail/stop lamps in my 80g. Major drop in current draw. Has a bike buddy follow me to see if there was a big difference in visibility, he said they were as good if not better than the stock bulbs. LED's tend to be real directional, so my concern was visibility, has not been a problem, yet. The pair I purchased were red so I took the white diffuser out of the lens. I also put them a set of foward facing amber running lights I scrounged off an old KZ1100. I have them on a switch so I can turn on the "brights" when things get tight and I need more visibility. Makes a very visible orange color. Now it they just get LED's for head lights, we all would be happy!!
              When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

JamStrait

I suppose it would be difficult to find that web site with my incorrect spelling. Here is the site I used, Rick:

http://www.2kracing.com/led-lights.shtml
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

Some where on ebay or the web I found the 1157 LED bulbs that were set at 45 aand 90 degrees so when you plugged then in they were pointed straight back. NOW I can't find them. Bug Dust!
                  Delightfully Tacky,Socially unacceptable but yet unrefined
                  81 XS Special with hack. We call her White lightning XSpectacular

Comment

Dust off the bug! Here is one site. (kind of pricey)
                    http://www.led.net/datasheets/auto_index/auto_index.htm

Originally posted by btdtdan
                    Some where on ebay or the web I found the 1157 LED bulbs that were set at 45 aand 90 degrees so when you plugged then in they were pointed straight back. NOW I can't find them. Bug Dust!
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

Hey there Dan,

MartyA had those 90 degree bulbs in his tail lights and turn signals at the VJMC Rally in Ga. a couple of weeks ago. I can't remember now which ones were WHITE and which were red?
                      Or what color the bulbs were?? I'm sure he could also provide where he got them......Marty, are you watching??

I tried to take a couple of pictures to compare his with the OEM white and red diffusor in place vs. mine with just the White in the center, but my el cheapo camera got overloaded, or compensated the iris too much for what little light there was other than the tail lights. I'll be reprocessing those pictures once I get my Re-install of Win98SE complete....was running 98OEM, needed the SE version for newer programs!

Mine did appear brighter, especially the brakes!! The running tail lights appeared to be equal. His extra Red tail cover did reduce the brilliance of his brake lights compared to my ONLY white down the center diffusor!
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Yeah, suddenly 4 or 5 posts about LEDs.

I got two 90 degree white 1156 replacements for the signals, and 2 straight white 1157 for the brake / tail lite. The 1156 is the single connection, the 1157 have dual connectors.

The website says to match the LED color with the lens cover color. I opted for all white. The signals are bright enough, the yellow washes out just a bit, but they are still yellow. The brake / tail lights are a bit dimmer. I think they are adequate though. My brake / tail lights are at 45 degree angle, so I thought the straight ones would diffuse properly.

Randy posted the website for Super Bright LEDs on another post - scroll down the page.

I got the 19 LED white 1157 brake lites and the 30 LED 1156 right angle for the signals. I wasn't sure the 30 LED 1157 would fit inside my lens. I probably should have got one and tested it. I am sure the tail / brake lights would be much brighter with the 30 LEDs.

TC had given me a 60 watt headlight for my fairing, and I was worried about losing battery, since the headlight blinked along with my signals at a stop after I installed it. So I saw the need for LEDs and ordered from this site.

I did need to change signal clicker thingie, so I went to the local parts store and got an off the shelf $1.69 "OEM replacement". It had only two terminals, but the 3 terminal female on the XS pops right on. The diameter was a little smaller, so I wrapped it in some old inner tube strips and it fit right in where the old one was.

I did not change the fairing signals, they are 1157's and I bought 2 straight 1156 LEDs. Silly me for not looking

So the whole change over took 15 minutes including 10 minutes to drive to the parts store. As I mentioned in the other post, me and electricity and solder do NOT get along well. But I am satisfied with the results.
                        Marty in NW PA
                        Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                        Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                        This IS my happy face.

Comment

note to Marty

Just got in my order for the SUPER BRIGHT LEDs. I have a '79 F and the 30 LED straight 1157's fit fine in the rear brake light housing. I bought the red ones and left the diffuser in the lens. Works fine as far as I'm concerned, and the brake lights are bright. Bought 2 right angle 30 LED yellows for the front signals. Fit fine, but had to spin the bulb socket around as the slots for the offset bulb pins had the bulb facing backwards. As there's no diffuser in the lens, the effect is a dark, rectangular yellow lens with a bright circle of light shining through. I can live with that. Bright. For other's interested: 30 LED red bulbs were $8.99 per, and the angled 30 LED yellows were $15.99 per. $5.00 shipping, whole thing came to $54.96 (Tach no longer bounces when I hit the signals.) My rear signals take single terminal 1156's, but they don't make those in angled yellow 30's. Plan to re-order yellow 30 LED angled and just put a blob of solder across the two terminals to make one terminal in the center, should do the trick. SUPER BRIGHT LEDS also sells small light bars. Shall also order a small row of white ones, and stick it with Permatex or something to the inside of the brake light housing facing downward to illuminate the license plate. Plenty of room.
                          Hhhmmm.... I suppose if I could find a piece of pebble textured clear plastic I could make my own diffuser for the turn signal lens. Maybe I'll check the junk yards next week. (Or check the cars in my neighbors driveway tonight) So many projects... so little time.
                          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

l.e.d.s

I also bought and used l.e.d.s from superbright. I am pleased with the results. wish brakes were a little brighter. I posted some web sites on leds in the links forum. superbrights I think they have the widest selection of leds.
                            when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
                            80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

Light Diffuser

Wanted a way to spread out the light a little in the lens without having to steal the back-up light lens from the neighbor's Plymouth. Went down the the local Home Despot fixin' to buy a sheet of that textured plastic that's used with overhead flourescent lights, but they don't sell any. Did find, in the door section, 2'x2' sheets of Styrene Lightening Panels(prismatic clear) for $2.58. (Flat on one side, diamond shaped ridges on the other) Cut out small rectangles to fit turn signal lenses. Installed them in the lens,not next to the bulb. (diamond side faces the bulb to refract the light better.) Effect: Light is spread out, illuminating more of the lens instead of having a dull lens with a bright circle of light shining through. May experiment further using two diffusers.
                              "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
                              X