Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil drips from oil filter cover bolt

Hi all,
    First off, I'm the guy who posted a few days ago about having an extra dowel pin leftover after engine rebuild. This is not directly related though, so I'm starting a new post....I'll put a followup on that other post soon. I have the engine running (without having taken the engine apart again to see if that dowel was missing), and the oil pressure guage I put on the bike reads 60psi at cold start/1500rmp. It seems to stay there even after warming up a bit, but I haven't let it run too much, since it smells up the house (I am working on it in my basement).
    Anyway, so I am having a drip coming out of the oil filter cover, and it is coming from around the bolt. I bought a replacement o-ring yesterday in case the old one was worn, but I am still getting the same drip. Any thoughts as to why this is happening? I guess my primary concern is there there is too much oil pressure and it is forcing the oil out when it shouldn't be, but like I mentioned above, the oil pressure is about 60 psi, so I wouldn't think that would do it. However, if the oil pressure is supposed to go down when it warms up, perhaps the lower viscosity of the oil, and the fact that the oil pressure (so far) stays at 60 psi, is causing this? I don't see what else I can do to prevent the drip - I mean, I tightened it to the recommended 20-25 ft-lbs, and even a bit more, but I don't want to overtighten.
    Anyone have this problem before, or can think of a reason it is dripping from there? The oil filter cover's thru hole that receives the union bolt looks in fine shape (no burrs or scratches).
    Maybe I should get a copper washer that could fit between the bolt & cover?
    Thanks for any advice!
    Scott

Hey there Scott,

You mentioned the "OLD" O-ring on the bolt!? The filter kits I "use" to get had the large and small ring with them, so perhaps your old one has shrunk a bit, or gotten flat sided?? The hole in the chamber cover is thick enough to where that O-ring is supposed to make a good seal! A crush washer probably wouldn't hurt, though!

I replaced mine with a spin on adapter
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

hmmmm, so you're saying that there are supposed to be two o-rings? It wouldn't suprise me - seems as though the one that goes around the bolt (and meets the inside of the thru hole in the filter cover) wouldn't be enough to prevent leakage under the oil pressure AND gravity...I mean, the seal produced when I insert the bolt/o-ring into the filter cover doesn't seem incredibly strong...
      Though when I check the parts fiche at parts.yamaha-motor.com (1980 xs1100sg), I see only one o-ring in the oil filter cover assembly (there's the o-ring around the cover's mating surface too, but that's fine).
      Think I should use a copper washer, or some kind of rubber gasket/washer of some sort?

thanks again!
      Scott

Comment

You might want to find a nylon washer that will work. I use one on an after market oil drain plug. You don't have to gorilla-torque it to get it to seal, and getting it loose next oil change is easy.

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
        Hey there Scott,
        A crush washer probably wouldn't hurt, though!
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Hi Skids, thanks for the reply. Where do you think I'd find a nylon washer? I guess I could order one online, but I am going to try to find a local place I can walk into and buy one (seattle area). I doubt a place like home depot would have one, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to check....
          scott

Comment

Your favorite local auto parts store will have an assortment of nylon and/or copper washers.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

I got a fiber washer at the local auto parts store, and it fits perfectly, except that it is a little bit thicker than I'd planned. It is about 3/32" thick, maybe a sixteenth (I haven't actually measured it, but that's a pretty good estimate). My question is, do you think this will mess up the location of the holes in the union bolt relative to the location they should be in the filter? I mean, the holes will be shifted down by the width of the washer, and though it doesn't seem like 3/32" would be too much, I just want to make sure this isn't a critical figure as far as where the union bolt's holes are located relative to the filter...
              Thanks!!!
              scott

Comment

I lind of doubt that it would make any difference, but I really don't know for sure.

Originally posted by dweomer21
                (snip)and though it doesn't seem like 3/32" would be too much, I just want to make sure this isn't a critical figure as far as where the union bolt's holes are located relative to the filter...
                Thanks!!!
                scott
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Hey there Scott,

Sorry for the confusion, the "other" O-ring was the large one that seals the filter chamber against the engine, I was just stating that they always provided new ones for both places!

The bolt has many holes along its sides, and the filter sits atop a highly precision locating device:Spring, and it's location is actually controlled by the large protrusion that sticks out from the engine case, the spring just keeps it up against that, and even though the bolt may or may not thread as far up into the engine with the thick washer, you're only talking a few mm's, and there are plenty of holes in the bolt to allow the oil to get thru the filter and into the bolt to get back into the engine!

T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

If you look closely at the bolt, you'll see a spring and check ball in there. That is the oil filter bypass valve. It will divert the oil around the filter in case it gets stopped up. It still shouldn't leak past the O ring though. Replace the small O ring on the bolt, and check the old one to see if it isn't flat on the outer surface.

Comment

Working...
                    X