Individual air filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Individual air filters

Anybody have any tips for proper installation of individual air filters? Do the carbs need extra support after the airbox is removed? Going to install some tomorrow. I've got all the carb adjustment info I need, but wondering what others have done with the physical part of the install.

zip ties

zip ties to frame are apopular fix.rejetting carb will also be in order.do a search on the left side of window. there has been a lot written about this in the fourms. Oh ya welcome to the site.
    1982 XJ 1100
    going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
    now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Don't forget about the crank case breather. You will either have to plum it into the back of the individual filters or put some kind of filter on the breather to keep stuff out of it.
      DZ
      Vyger, 'F'
      "The Special", 'SF'
      '08 FJR1300

Comment

I put pod filters on my 81 RH, no problems with carbs needing support, stock jets were 110s, went to 112.5s runs sweet, pulls strong to past 180kph (110mph+).

Comment

nearly forgot, turned breather hose around so it hangs downr the back of gearbox, seems to cause no problems.

Comment

filter

i would recomend putting a filter on the breather tube cueball,just to be on the safe side.that tube does have a very small amount of suction on it,ya don't want to suck crap into your motor.i got a nice chrome one from auto zone for 9.99 ,and matches the filters i put on carbs.
            1982 XJ 1100
            going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
            now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Used zip ties to the frame and everything seems pretty secure. Went up two sizes on main jets (was running a little rich), but now on the lean side. Will go up one more next time I've got the carbs off, then tweak float height. Love the look of those filters.

Comment

So, how is the carburation overall?
                Like, are you able to hold a steady idle?
                Are you able to hold a steady idle?
                Is it mushy when accelerating from any given idle?
                Does it have an abrupt torque spot while accelerating from idle all the way up to the high rpm range?
                Did it change the usual rpms that you like to run around with?
                Any other changes from stock to the bike? Like, exhaust system, pilot jets, air jets, anything else?

Originally posted by cueball
                I put pod filters on my 81 RH, no problems with carbs needing support, stock jets were 110s, went to 112.5s runs sweet, pulls strong to past 180kph (110mph+).
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Oops! Sorry, I was interrupted too many times while writing my last post. As you can see, my brain was on "idle!" :-/

Originally posted by skids
                  So, how is the carburation overall?
                  Like, are you able to hold a steady idle?
                  Are you able to hold a steady idle?
                  Is it mushy when accelerating from any given idle?
                  Does it have an abrupt torque spot while accelerating from idle all the way up to the high rpm range?
                  Did it change the usual rpms that you like to run around with?
                  Any other changes from stock to the bike? Like, exhaust system, pilot jets, air jets, anything else?

Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Biggest gripe right now is popping out the exhaust when I'm slowing down in gear and throttle is closed. I turned the idle mixture screws out 4 turns. Don't know if I should go further or just rejet. The bike idles great and I can turn it way down below 1000 rpms and it still idles ok, but have it set right around 1000 now (manual says 1100). I've got 4 into 2 pipes with no baffles, so the popping out the pipes is really loud. Never did that until I put the K&N filters on. Now other problems other than running lean. Pulls hard at all rpms.

Comment

HawkChief, welcome to the indy filter / little or no baffle / off throttle backfire club. That is a bit of fuel sneaking past the pilot and combusting. Mine does that, TC's does that. We both have 4-1 and indy filters. I think anyone with indy filters and 4-1 does that. Your lack of baffles in your 4-2 is probably the same thing.

Some folks have suggested that popping is incidative of a lean condition. Mine is not running lean.

Enjoy it, I do.
                      Marty in NW PA
                      Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                      Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                      This IS my happy face.

Comment

Mine does the popping thing when I close the throttle too. My plugs do not indicate a lean condition. I have maintained the stock airbox and filter. I have 4 into 1 exhaust and no baffle.

Marty, what will happen when I install the K&N filter in the airbox?
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

Pop Pop Pop

Popping in the exhaust on over run or coast down is usually caused by unburned fuel passing into the exhaust system.
                          It also requires an air leak in the exhaust system some were. (header pipes to head/collector pipe to collector/muffler to exhaust pipe.) As the fresh air from a leak enters the exhaust system oxygen in the air allows the unburned fuel to ignite causing the pop pop pop.
                          When you close the throttle to slow down you effectively shut off air to the engine. For an instant fuel will continue to flow momentarily into the cylinder but there is not enough air/oxygen present for complete combustion. Hence, some unburned hydrocarbons end up in the exhaust system.
                          Fix your exhaust system leaks and the popping will likely go away.
                          Ken/Sooke
                          78E Ratbyk
                          82 FT500 "lilRat"
                          92 ZX11 Temptress

Comment

I think we are all correct. Assuming that the tune is correct, and you get popping on deceleration, it is usually caused by a the fuel / air mixture being temporarily off.

When you close the throttle at elevated RPM, you have an engine pulling the amount of air it needs for that RPM but since the throttle is closed, you get a really high flow rate of air through the throttle and gas only coming from the pilot circuit, which cannot supply enough gas for a normal mixture. That temporarily creates a very lean condition, lean enough that the air / fuel mixture doesn't ignite well in the combustion chamber like a normal mixture. Once that lean mixture enters the exhaust, it has a chance to slow down, collect, and then finally ignite. This is much more pronounced with a free flow intake and free flow exhaust. Even more air can get through the air cleaner, thus creating an even more lean condition when the throttle is closed. The lack of baffles in the exhaust enhances the sound of that lean mixture exploding.

That same temporary lean mixture can also ignite if there is an air leak - fresh air source - into the exhaust. ratbyk says this is needed for the pop pop pop. I think it not necessary to have an air leak in the exhaust to get that pop pop pop, but I think an air leak might make it happen more / sooner / louder.

Now I have to go and check my exhaust. I was fairly sure I did not have any leaks...

If your plugs do not indicate a lean condition, I would not try to adjust the carbs to lose the 'pops.' You might not have enough adjustment there, and you'll probably mess up the low end.
                            Marty in NW PA
                            Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                            Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                            This IS my happy face.

Comment

I looked for a leak in the exhaust and didn't find anything. The popping will go on indefinitely (like when going down a long hill), so I think the too-lean condition in the combustion chamber makes sense in my case. Not sure my idle mixture is right or not. Other threads suggested turning out the screws to make the popping go away, but I'm 5 turns out now with no difference from 4 out. Guessing that it is all the way open now. I don't notice any difference in idle when I turn the screws in and out (except way in), so thinking about trying the color tune. Made a big improvement this week in the way the bike is running, so thanks for all the advice. Also gave me a reason to visit my favorite motorcycle parts store over here twice this week to get bigger mains. BTW, the place is called Nads (I swear). Whenever I find what I'm looking for there, I tell them "way to go-Nads!" None of them speak English anyway . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X