Diaphram Assembly, HELP..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diaphram Assembly, HELP..........

I went out the other day to go for a ride and gas is leaking all over the side of my bike! I changed all the lines and got new clampsm and it seems to be leaking out of my Diaphram Assembly, or octopus as I have heard it called. I need to ask a few questions to see what to do, I've heard you can just bypass it and get rid of it all together? Do they make a rebuild kit for it? A new complete one is over $50! Does anyone have a good used one for sale? Thanks and I will be visiting here often or just email me, Great Site Also!!!!
    1980 XS 1100 Special SG
    "White Lightning"

K&L makes a rebuild kit, it comes with the stuff to rebuild both petcocks and the 'diaphram valve' cost is $20 or so I think, and any bike shop can get these because Tucker-Rocky and all the big suppliers to bike shops sell them.

You only live about 2hrs south of me, I hope you are planning on attending XSEast 2003!
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

octopus ectomy

I have one with and 1 without an octopus..

the one without has both lines from the petcocks to a t then one line to the carbs for that side...

The petcocks work in all positions, and i just have to remember to shut off the fuel when i shut it off..

I have the old one off Rusty, i'd give ya for shipping, but ill warn u its been sittin for 15 years... so im not sure its any better than yours..
      jeff "Wags"
      Bothell, Wa

79sf mongrel
      79sf rusty
      79 partsbike almost complete

Comment

rOOsty,

If you take the diaphram assembly apart, you will see that you only have an O-ring to replace to make it control the flow of fuel. It's small, about 1/4". Shouldn't cost you more that 50 cents.
        Bill Murrin
        Nashville, TN
        1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
        1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
        2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
        2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
        1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
        2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Hi rOOsty,
          I had a torn diagphram in mine. I used the K&L Petcock rebuild kit on my special. It was $35.00 at a local bike shop. It fixed all the probelms with the 'octopus' - as some of you call it. Seems to be easier to fix the 'octopus' then bypassing/eliminating it. In the K&L kit there is everything to rebuild both petcocks and the single vacuum diagram. Don't forget to replace all the fuel line, one line at a time to keep from getting confused. I used the newer Gray Tyglon line. I think yglon is what it was called.

There is a place called partsnmore that has petcock rebuild kits for the XS1100 E/F/G/H Standard Models that is like $13.00 each(x2). They do not list a kit for specials though. I have not dealt with them (yet), and am not affiliated with K&L or www.partsnmore.com. just trying to help
          Bill Woods
          1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
          1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
          2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

A BIG Thanks!!!!!!!!

Thanks alot guys, now I have something to go by, I think I'll rebuild it all, and be done with it.
            SixtySix, tell me more of this XS East?? I never heard of it, where, and when??
            Jdwags, Thanks for the offer man I really appreciate it!! Nice to know that there is some good guys like us left out there!!
            nashville_bill, and Bill_Woods, Thanks for the info and advice!!
            Keep the shiney side up fellas!!

1980 XS 1100 Special SG
            "White Lightning"

Comment

Another option.

Hello there,

I just fixed my octopus yesterday. It had a vacuum leak causing my number two carb to run lean. I used a diaphram out of a XS11 Standard petcock. Exactly the same and you dont have to buy a complete kit for everything.

Good Luck.
              Jeremy

1979 XS11 Special
              2002 Ducati ST4S
              2012 BMW F800R
              1981 Suzuki GS450E
              1982 Honda XL500R

Comment

Working...
              X