78 standard seat on my 79 special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 78 standard seat on my 79 special

I just saw this thread a couple days ago, but now i cant find it. anyhow, I just found a complete (sans carbs) 78 xs1100 standard in my local junkyard. I got the seat and the hard bags off of it. I havn't taken mine apart yet (its raining), but is the 78 gonna fit on my 79? the pan looks at least similar. and if it doesnt fit, can i make it fit with a simple mod?

if anyone's done it, would you happen to have a pic handy?

I'd like to get it together tomorrow, as i'm leaving for biketoberfest in daytona on friday morning. see any of you there?
    1979 XS1100 Special

There is no frame and bodywork difference between the '78 XS1100E and the '79 XS1100F standard models so a seat from one should work fine on the other.
    Bubba1954
    (aka) Shannon Koehn
    Hutchinson, KS
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/0EE87CEC5C8C774

Comment

awesome. that's what i thought. i just went outside and got the seat off, and covered my baby back up. they appear to be a perfect match. some of the little rubbery things underneath are in different places, but that shouldnt worry me too much.

this seat looks like its sat out in the blazing sun and rain for a month. its pretty dull and faded, but not cracked or anything. i've put a little armor all on it, but dont wanna put too much, since i dont want to slide off the side. it just sucks what i put on there right up tho. any ideas on bringing this super comfy corbon king queen jewel back to life?
      1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

Wait a minute! I thought the subject line involved a Special model. The seat lengths are different, I believe...

Originally posted by Bubba1954
        There is no frame and bodywork difference between the '78 XS1100E and the '79 XS1100F standard models so a seat from one should work fine on the other.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

right-e-o. I took a seat off of a 78 standard, and want to put it on my 79 special. is it different? the little lip in the front is a different shape, and might not swing down as low, but i believe i can bend it if i need to. otherwise, they appear to match up in all of the relevant places.

right?
          1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

Whoops! Sorry Brock, I missed the part about you having a Special model. There are no differences between the standards of '78 & '79, but there may be some differences between the standard model and a Special model.

Bubba
            Bubba1954
            (aka) Shannon Koehn
            Hutchinson, KS
            http://www.fototime.com/inv/0EE87CEC5C8C774

Comment

There IS a difference in the seats. The special has the TCI box mounted UNDER the seat, about two thirds of the way from the front. There is a recess molded in the pan to clear this. The standard has the TCI box mounted BEHIND the seat, with a plastic extension attached to the rear of the seat to cover it. There is no recess under the pan on the standard. The TCI can be moved to the rear of the seat, but the wiring harness may not be long enough. Also the hook that holds the front of the seat may have to be bent for it to engage in the strap behind the gas tank. The front of the seats are shaped a little different. This change can be done, but the standard seat will be positioned a bit higher from the frame, and a few slight mods might have to be made, but this should be doable. If you have both pans, examine them carefully, and you will see what needs to be done.
              put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
              79 F (Blueballs)
              79 SF (Redbutt)
              81 LH (organ donor)
              79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
              76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
              rover has spoken

Comment

well, just for the record, i'm not sure what we were all worried about. fit the new seat today, after cleaning it up all nite with about 10 coats of armour all. I watched for not enough clearance for the tci box, and while the recess is smaller, it fits with a little room left over.

for what it's worth, this seat does not have that little cover in the back that i've seen, so maybe what i've got is a special seat after all, but i'm pretty sure it was mounted on a standard.

thanks again for everyone's advice/opinions. always valuable
                1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

Yes, you have a special seat. The standard seat WILL NOT
                  79 F (Blueballs)
                  79 SF (Redbutt)
                  81 LH (organ donor)
                  rover has spoken

Comment

Yes, you have a special seat, the standard will not clear the TCI, I know, cause I tried every combination of the seats I have. The extension housing (plastic) bolts on the standard seat, the special seat is shaped differently and does not have the bolt holes
                    79 F (Blueballs)
                    79 SF (Redbutt)
                    81 LH (organ donor)
                    rover has spoken

Comment

Working...
                    X