What is the best engine oil for Xs1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best engine oil for Xs1100

I hear alot of talk about synthetic and conventional oils,Can anyone give me advice as to what has worked the best for them.Let me know!
    Dan ( A.K.A.- MacGyver )

oil

hello excess11.
    synthetics vs regular oil or dino juice. synthetics don't do very well in our bikes.seems to cause starter and clutch malfunctions. many owners on these forums have reported that synthetics have caused clutch slippage and starter drive problems. they went back to conventional oil and problems went away. yamaha recommends 20w40. most of us use 20w50 or 15w40. brand preference is up to the owner. most use castrol or rottella.
    when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
    80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

I tried synthetic 30w and had no problems I could associate with the type of oil I was using. I went back to regular 30w because it is much easier to find on the open road.

It is my opinion that clean fresh oil is best for the XS1100. Viscosity is less important. Unless the bike is run continuously in extreme temperature conditions (90+/25-), straight 30w works great for me. The brand of oil is least important. The major difference between the top priced oil and lowest price oil is the price (IMHO). If one feels better buying the higher priced oil, go for it.
      DZ
      Vyger, 'F'
      "The Special", 'SF'
      '08 FJR1300

Comment

Xs1100 oil

I already have ROTELLA on hand for my diesel VW, I will give it a try in my XS, Thanks for the advice!
        Dan ( A.K.A.- MacGyver )

Comment

I have used Rotella 15w40 with great success and it's availible at any WalMart for about $7 a gallon. At that price you can afford to drain and change it every 1 thousand miles and the filter every third change. This way you keep fresh oil in it that retains it's factory viscosity, and not have to worry about clutch and starter problems.

I have always believed stongly in synthetic Mobil-1 for all of my vehicals, but when I used it in in my Eleven, the starter would fail to relese after starting at times, so I went back to using Rotella dyno oil.

I noticed that your from PA. I have a son that now lives and works in Philly. We were out there this summer. Lovely state you have. Lot's of trees..
          Bubba1954
          (aka) Shannon Koehn
          Hutchinson, KS
          http://www.fototime.com/inv/0EE87CEC5C8C774

Comment

Working...
          X