No announcement yet.

Front brake conversion(single to dual)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front brake conversion(single to dual)?

I have 78' xs standard with single rotor and caliper on front.What would be involved in converting to a dual set up. Has anyone tried this ,What was your results.Was it worth the time and money. Please give any technical information involved with conversion.
    Dan ( A.K.A.- MacGyver )

If your XS is a XS1100 E model, it came from the factory with duel disc brakes on the front wheel. Someone must have switched them for a single setup, though I can't amagine why.

Since a duel setup was standard equipment, you should be able to buy all of the parts you need from ebay auctions sooner or later at a reasonable price.
    Bubba1954
    (aka) Shannon Koehn
    Hutchinson, KS
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/0EE87CEC5C8C774

Comment

You might have an XS650 front end on your XS1100E. Does your XS have the caliper mounting lugs on both the fork housings? Does your front wheel have the rotor mounting holes in the wheel?
      DZ
      Vyger, 'F'
      "The Special", 'SF'
      '08 FJR1300

Comment

XS1100 front brakes

The bike has the holes in the front weel to add a second rotor on the right,but still has plastic plugs pushed in them,It appears to look like it was factory built like that? The fork tube on the right does have two ears on it to attach a caliper. When I look for brake parts to add the second rotor and caliper are they all the same from year to year and is the special a different setup. The caliper for the right side would have to be a right side caliper so the bleeder would be on top. Is there a difference in left or right rotors? ( I need help!)
        Dan ( A.K.A.- MacGyver )

Comment

serial #

Check the serial # to insure what yr and model bike u have . Look to your left and click on the specifications tab, just to verify what you have then we can help u by telling you what u need .......MITCH
          Doug Mitchell
          82 XJ1100 sold
          2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
          2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
          1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
          47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

XS1100 brakes

I have ser#2h7-005474,That would make it a 78' standard,I looked at factory specs and this bike should have dual brakes on the front.I do not know why it has single,that is how I bought it.Now can anyone help me fix it? What will I need,please be technical so I do not purchase the wrong parts. Thanks for any help!
            Dan ( A.K.A.- MacGyver )

Comment

Go to this Yamaha web site. You can find all of the part numbers and drawings that you can zoom in or out on to identify all of the parts you are missing.

Select the "Online Parts Catalog" option from the menu bar on the left side, then select motorcycle, 1978, & XS1100E, from the pull down menus.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/service/service.asp

This will allow you to see all of the parts that you need. Most of these are no longer availible at dealerships so you will need to keep watching this search list of Yamaha XSEleven parts on ebay until you can buy all that you are missing. Use and save this link below:

http://search-desc.ebay.com/XS1100_W...textsearchedZ2

I would also suggest that you buy a Clymer shop manual while you are on ebay too. This can save you a lot of anguish and time trying to gigure things out for yourself.
              Last edited by Bubba1954; 10-16-2004, 10:21 AM.
              Bubba1954
              (aka) Shannon Koehn
              Hutchinson, KS
              http://www.fototime.com/inv/0EE87CEC5C8C774

Comment

Re: XS1100 brakes

Originally posted by excess11
                I have ser#2h7-005474,That would make it a 78' standard,I looked at factory specs and this bike should have dual brakes on the front.I do not know why it has single,that is how I bought it.Now can anyone help me fix it? What will I need,please be technical so I do not purchase the wrong parts. Thanks for any help!
                excess11, I just happen to have both front fork assemblies from a 78E. (Both forks, and wheel) But no brake caliper or rotor. They are on E bay, I've seen some recently. If you're interested, PM me, and we'll discuss it further.

Comment

Working...
                X