pipes and oil filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pipes and oil filter

question for those who have an oil cooler and, Mac or Jardine pipes. Do you have to remove your pipes to get to the oil filter?

I have a Lockhart cooler and Jardine criss cross pipes, 4 into 2. The oil filter is wide open. It's as accessable as the stock set up.
    Here are some pics so you can see what it looks like wi6th the Jardines.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/john80sg

Comment

Sorry, i forgot to mention that the pipes would be 4-1 jardine or Mac. With an oil cooler.

Comment

I have MAC 4-1 with an oil cooler. I can clear the distance from what I can tell.
        Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

I have Jardine 4-1 pipes and I can remove the oil filter without removing the pipes. It's a little tight but is doable.
          Robert
          79 SF

Comment

Big bore special

Originally posted by John
            I have a Lockhart cooler and Jardine criss cross pipes, 4 into 2. The oil filter is wide open. It's as accessable as the stock set up.
            I looked at your pictures and must say, that other than myself you are one of the few guys that I know of that has had one of these rascals completely field stripped.Did you have any problems getting parts,(gaskets,O rings etc)from Yamaha)I had a hellva time myself.I wound up getting the cylinder head studs from A.P.E. and they charged me a fortune.I spent over three thousand dollars on mine and six months work, I would never do it again. I sent you an e-mail but don't known if you got it or not. I thought you might want to know this because you are an FJ fan. I was riding today on my V-MAX with my brother who has his prized FJ1200 with Super Trapps, stub stack filters, degreed cams and different sprockets,(I'm sure)and gave him one final spanking for the season.I told him before and I told him afterwards he was gonna have to spend some money to get my lunch.He has all winter, but I have some things for Mr. Max that will great him come the flowers of spring time.
            81 Black "1179" Xcessively trick Super Special. One owner (me).

Comment

Dan, I did get your e mail, thanks, and I'm sorry I didn't reply back. A ton of good info. I will be trying the cam swap, and possibly the governor also this winter. I think you must have misunderstood me about the FJ. It's my wife who is the FJ fan. She's had hers for about 10 years now, and I'm tired of getting dusted everytime I get a little froggy.
              That was the second time that I had this particular engine apart. I had to repair first gear about 12 years ago, and while I was in there I replaced all crankshaft bearings. Ya know, I discoverd that 1100 isn't really the size of the engine...it's the number of parts that are in it.
              Here is a running chronical of the rebuild/Big Bore Project.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...&threadid=4124

I had no trouble getting the parts you mentioned. I got a good deal on the Wiseco 1179 cc kit. Only $350, and the gasket set I got from a guy that buys out the inventories of out of business bike shops/dealerships. It was a Vesrah gasket set, only $66, and new cam chain for $33. I didn't get as drastic as you did apparently, but I'm happy with the results. Right now I have this big ass plexi windshield on the bike, so I don't really know just how fast it will go, and I haven't hooked up with that Damned FJ yet. I'm glad to see that some has finally put an FJ in it's place, but sad that it wasn't done with an XS.

Comment

John's big bore XS

For some reason I was unable to get the pictures on that last thread but I think I got them all off the first posting. Yes the windshields kills the top end.I have a National Cycle plexastar two which measures 20 in. above the headlight and is about 29 in. wide and has the short downleg. It fits and looks great on the bike but with the thing installed, I've never seen more than 118-120 out of it. With out it, I've seen 130 with my modified engine and it had some left.I don't know what the thing would run bone stock because when I bought it back in 81 it came with a 85 mph speedometer. I put a new 79 model speedometer and header on it after the first one thousand miles.I parked the thing in 85-86, took the carbs and tank off where it sat in the back portion of my garage untill 02 when I started messing with it again.The thing is faster than any of these v-twin cruisers with the exception of a V-Rod. My reason for bringing the thing back to life in the first place was to beat the big red restored Honda C.B.X. up the street,which I have and will continue to do so every time I see the thing out.
                81 Black "1179" Xcessively trick Super Special. One owner (me).

Comment

Yeah! Make him tuck that red tail, and bow with humility every time he sees the XS. Maybe every now and then, ask him "Who's Yo' Daddy"

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                    Hi John,

I have set of those Jardine criss-cross on my 78E that was put on by the PO. Did you have to re-jet for those pipes? I don't remember the jet sizes on my carbs without reopening them to see.

Reason I ask, is that I ordered some air pods from Mike's XS (should be here tomorrow) and may have to rejet, so I'm trying to figure the formula with the aftermarket pipes.

Thanks,

Sam
                    Sam
                    1978 XS1100E

Comment

SuperTrapp Stainless 4 into 1 pipe

Originally posted by grifff View Post
                      question for those who have an oil cooler and, Mac or Jardine pipes. Do you have to remove your pipes to get to the oil filter?
                      As it happened I just changed my oil and found out that I need to pull the pipes to change the filter.

1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special - induction and head work, bored w/ Wisco pistons, SuperTrapp 4 into 1 stainless exhaust. This bike was built by someone who knew what to do - it flys

1978 SR500E - pristine stocker

1978 SR500E - soon to get cafe style makeover

Comment

Working...
                      X