can leaking exhaust cause poor performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can leaking exhaust cause poor performance

When I recently changed my tires, I jacked the front of the bike up with a hydraulic jack under the oil pan (with a block of wood). I think I may have disturbed my exhaust because I've noticed a difference in performance and noise since the tire change. Tonight after a 27 mile ride home from work, I checked it out and the #3 pipe flange is completely loose. Also, the right side header / muffler connection appears to be leaking. The pipes are original but are generally in very good shape.

Questions:

1) Can the leaking exh. cause poor performance?

2) Is this just a matter of simply tightening things up again or are there more extensive repairs required?

Thanks!

Tom B.

Re: can leaking exhaust cause poor performance

1.- Yes, leaking exhaust will cause poor performance. You can even cause engine damage.
    2.- You might be able to tighten the flange nuts if there is any give left in the crush gaskets. They are only a couple of dollars each. They are likely needing to be replaced.

Originally posted by tab1324

Questions:
    1) Can the leaking exh. cause poor performance?
    2) Is this just a matter of simply tightening things up again or are there more extensive repairs required?
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
    X