Could Use Help With A Carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Use Help With A Carb

Could someone please help me with a carb problem? I have a perfect set of '78-'79 series carburetors except #3 is shot. Some turkey did the old wind the idle air screw into the throttle body BIG TIME and I don,t think I'm ever going to get it to meter properly. Some of the others in the set have been abused in much the same way, but not like #3! I will be glad to pay for one or trade for something else someone may need out of my parts stock. (Never know how hard that rainy day may be!) And I saw a thread about the diameter of that pin-hole into the throttle body, but now cannot seem to find it. It may be easier to send a PM but I love reading the latest! Thanks to all for the info and my apologies for starting the "Carbs, Cams, Valve-Size, Advance Unit" whirlwind. Or should I take a bow? Christopher. "The Gimp"
    Christopher. "The Gimp"

I remember someone saying that reverse drill bits (opposite spiral) can get oout stock objects...maybe pilot jets too.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

#3 Carb

Thanks Skids, but the problem isn't a broken needle tip or anything stuck, it's that there's a hole down through the needle seat that shows big-time daylight! And with the hole so large the mixture velocity is too low and the mixture is never going to be right.
      Christopher. "The Gimp"

Comment

Ex, mix up some resin - liquid metal - whatever, and bung up the hole when it's semi-set. Screw in a good needle, unscrew, then let the resin set. Voila - a new perfect hole.

Comment

New Needle Seat

Thanks PGG! To clarify, assuming I choose the proper material, do you suggest putting it down the hole from the top (ie. the needle end) or just dab a bit up the enlarged hole from the bottom (ie. the throttle body) ? And thank you, while I'm begging for parts, does anyone have a spare left shoulder? With Fall upon us in beautiful, bountiful, Vermont, the arthritis is working it's magic But I promise to stop whining (No one likes a whiner) and get to work on the Terraplane and solve this carb. dilemma. I can solder almost any thing. With silver solder and SS flux, I may be able to get it done pretty, but the throttle body is a wicked heat sink. Just thinking out loud. That's why there's that smell of smoke Christopher.
          Christopher. "The Gimp"

Comment

Ex, I did a carb from a tube of 'cold solder' a liquid metal substance. I plugged the hole from the bottom.

Comment

Go to a boat shop and get some MarineTex. It's the best epoxy product I've ever used and you can drill and tap it. The black MarineTex sets up medium gray and looks ok on most aluminum repairs. I used to use it to repair cases on bikes that had tossed a chain.

Geezer
              Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
              X