Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overtightening issues again!!!!

G'day everyone again,

ever since my last oil change debacle, I've noticed a steady drip from the mail oil drain bolt. I've given it several 1/8th nip up turns with no joy and come to the conclusion that the thread is stuffed. It doesn't seem to want to tighten to a stop, just keeps going around.

Question is this... Can I remove the main oil sump cover (often referred to as the strainer cover) with the engine in place? It seems theres about 14 allen key bolts holding it in.

If I can remove the sump cover I can take it to the shop and have a helicoil fitted with minimum cost/effort. Otherwise the mechanic will charge me for extra labour doing work I can do myself.

Unless there's a better idea?

Thanks!

scrap that

I had a go since it didn't look too difficult... yes the sump cover can be removed easily...

Unfortunately I now know why I was leaking oil, the top part of the thread has broken away. I'm going to attempt to use a compound called "Magnum Steel" to re-attach the broken piece.

I'll post photo's of before and after just in case others have this problem later.

If this doesn't work, I'm going to need a good 'XSive' to help me out with a replacement. If anyone has one I'll pay a fair price including shipping to Australia should the need arise.

let's see how we go?

Comment

oversize drain plug

Hey justyn s. here in the states auto parts stores sell oversize drain plugs for just that purpose. usually cost under $5.00 american
      1982 XJ 1100
      going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
      now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Hey Justyn,

I know a machinist that welds aluminum, so I would think that you could find a similarly skilled welder in your part of the world that could do the same thing, then you could redrill/tap it with a new bolt! Just another thought?
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

thanks

Hey thanks for the help guys, andreashweiss has offered me a sump off an '81XS. I'm hoping there aren't any subtle differences I'm not aware of.

The Magnumsteel did an excellent job.... except for one thing, the aluminium doesn't lend itself to good adhesion. What I was left with was a VERY hard lump of perfect thread that just won't stick.

All things being equal, I'd rather have a reliable replacement than any type of fix in the long run, and for around $50-60AUS it's not too bad.

Comment

Working...
          X