Partsnmore Master Cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello All

Can anybody tell me? Does the Partsmore front Master Cylinder fit on the XS Special SG or is it just made to fit the Standard.

Tony
    XS1100 SG
    Triumph Trophy 900
    Honda CB700sc

Comment

They appear be the same intermally, but the standard has mount for the rear view mirror, the special doesn't.

Steve
      80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
      73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
      62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
      Norton Electra - future restore
      CZ 400 MX'er
      68 Ducati Scrambler
      RC Planes and Helis

Comment

The reservior on the Special is set a forward angle to compensate for the angle of the bars, and also they are two totally different animals. A while ago there Randy Rago had located some new reserviors, and I bought one, but Ken Talbot had discovered a major difference in the reserviors, and they wouldn't fit on a Special's master cylinder.

Comment

Will this master cylinder fit/work on an XJ?

Lous
          "There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be overcome by
          brute strength and ignorance" And possibly some Mouse Milk!
          '82 XJ1100J
          LED Dir and running lights
          LED Tail/Brake lights (4) one flashing
          Modulated H/L
          PIAA Driving lights
          YICS Eliminated
          750 FD

Yamaha Factory X-1 Fairing and Luggage

Comment

i could be wrong but wouldnt spacing the lever back cause problems with the master cylinder ?
            wont it stop the release of pressure and refill that requires full release?
            79 xs1100 standard
            76 kz900 <now 1015
            Terry Meyer

Comment

Originally posted by poorboy112597
              That made a night and day difference. I would give it a thumbs up!
              In my opinion replacing the old gunky lines with new SS lines is the best money spendt on any older bike like ours... I've done ti to all my bikes, and will continue doing so whenever i lay my hands on a bike equipped without them.

Just my 2c

H./

Comment

I don't believe that the xs m/c will work because the xj front m/c only activates one front caliper. The bore/displacement is less than that of the xs for that reason, and an xs m/c on an xj will probably cause premature lock up of that caliper creating a hazardous condition. I parted out a couple of xj's a few years ago, but I sold both front m/c's. You could convert the xj to a dual front brake system ala xs and then you could use an xs m/c. You can also use an m/c from an older xs 650 with just one front brake rotor. It will be the proper size bore/displacement.

Comment

John,

That is what I want to do. This is my third XJ since '82 and I've hated the unified braking on all of them.

Louis
                  '82 XJ1100J
                  Modulated H/L
                  PIAA Driving lights
                  YICS Eliminated
                  750 FD

Comment

You will hve to source almost every part from and xs11, or an xs650 Special. The m/c's, and calipers from an xs750-850 special will fit., but the rotors are a smaller diameter. The 650 has the same diameter rotor, but you will want to measure to be certian. Both m/c's will need to be replaced, as they are the wrong size bore/displacement. You'll also need to get a front brake union block in order to join both front brake hoses. I have seen many complete brake systens on ebay, so locating them houldn't be a problem Be warned about the front caliper pistons. Rebuild kits are vailable, but if the pistons are trashed, they are not available anywhere, and they are different from the Standards calipers. I had to find a machine shop to make me some new pistons for a set of spare calipers tat I had bought.

Comment

John,

My front calipers are in good condition. I thought of using the union block that joins the line from the rear m/c and the front left caliper as the union for both front calipers and conecting the rear caliper to the front outlet of the rear m/c as it's proportioned for more output. And if the Partsmore m/c has the correct angle, using it since, as you said, the displacement of the XJ front m/c is not enought for two calipers.

Louis
                      '82 XJ1100J
                      Modulated H/L
                      PIAA Driving lights
                      YICS Eliminated
                      750 FD

Comment

So would the partsnmore master cylinder work for a 79sf with no mods?
                        Ben
                        1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
                        1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
                        1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
                        1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
                        1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
                        1982 XS650
                        1980 XS1100g
                        1979 XS1100sf
                        1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

I do think the master cylinder would work on the specials. Ypu would probably have to turn the handlebars/forks to full left when removing the cap.
                          Pat Kelly
                          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I installed one of these MC from Partnmore when I resurected my ride over the winter. Along with a set of Randy's SS lines. So far everything is working great.
                            Missing Link
                            Keep the Shinny Side UP!!

Comment

Okay, shopping info, several kinds, generic, Magura, sizes 13mm, 14mm, 16mm diameter pistons for 1 caliper or two with larger size, several sources and price ranges, see below:
                              Magura front MC DK $75.99 13mm piston,
                              Alloy body master cylinder with 13mm diameter piston; nylon fluid reservoir
                              Threaded for brake light switch
                              M10x1 outlet thread
                              Requires brake light switch PART NO. 21-315 for street use; not threaded for mirror mounts
                              Fits 7/8 in. handlebars

MikesXS SIngle

Master Cylinder Assembly - 13mm. bore (for single Front disc brake)
                              Yamaha OEM type. Complete with brake lever, brake light switch, banjo bolt and
                              banjo bolt washers (Pr.). Recommended for 1977-84 650’s

Part #08-0255 $69.00US EA.

Master Cylinder Assembly - 16mm bore. - Recommended for late dual disc Front
                              brakes on 1977-84 XS650’s or single front disc brake (1972-76 650’s). Yamaha
                              OEM type. Complete with brake lever, brake light switch, banjo bolt and washers.

Part #08-0265 $79.00US EA.

Magura Master Cylinder Assy. Replaces original types on All XS/TX650’s 72-84.
                              Compact lightweight design (10.3oz.), complete with brake switch, matching 10
                              x 1.0 Banjo Bolt and banjo bolt washers (2pc.) Ideal for street tracker use or any
                              single or dual disc brake 650. Made in Germany

Part #08-0251 $99.00US EA.

PNM 16mm dual disc MC
                              Dual Disc Master Cylinder Assembly. Yamaha Style - Alloy body Master Cylinder Assembly with Lever, Banjo Bolt, Banjo Bolt Washers and Brake Switch. High Quality , Low Profile Design featuring 16mm cylinder with 10 x 1.25 threaded outlet. Fits 7/8 inch Handlebars, Accepts Yamaha Style Left Hand Thread, Right Side Mirror.

$76.00US EA.

Part#08-0264
                              Old Bike Barn

Description:
                              Alloy Single Caliper Master Cylinder Assembly with remote reservoir. includes adjustable lever, banjo bolt & banjo bolt washers. Quality Low Profile design with 10 x 1.25 threaded outlet (14mm piston Dia.) Universal

$99.95
                              Applications: Universal
                              T. C. Gresham
                              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                              History shows again and again,
                              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

1 last thing on the subject?

I have a xj and I'am also thinking of getting both front rotors involved in my hand brake. I agree with 99.9 percent with what you guys suggest and appreiceate all the feed back and advise. But I need to add some food for thought(because im a cheap bassturd) about the break master cyclinder advise. Point 1; my master cyclinder is oem yamaha nissin 14 stamped part ,operating (1) caliper. Point 2; I have a master cyclinder from my old 86 fz 600 I raced which has the same exact info stamped on it. The fz operated (2) calipers up front. I dont have the info off of the calipers but, I know there different pad numbers . I believe the pistons to be close in diameter. Are you guys sure my stock xj master cyclinder wont work for both rotors? I maybe a bone head but, please just think about it. If i'm missing something please let me know. thanks SD...

Comment

Working...
                                X