XJ 11 brake lights on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ 11 brake lights on

I have just discovered that the brake lights, both tail light and indicator light on the dash are on. The brk on the dash was on for a while but the braking lights worked perfect. Any suggestions.

I also noticed that it is a bit hard to roll when in neutral after a ride. I have replaced the brake lines with SS ones and had the cylinders redone both master and the back one in the V notch.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

deo
    82 XJ1100 "Resurrected"
    Riding with the Son

Have you checked the rear brake push rod length to see if it is depressing the master cyl plunger? The fluid expands when it gets hot, and if you don't have enough freeplay, it can trap some fluid, under pressure, in the lines.

Comment

John,

The light came on after the bike had sat for two weeks and I thought it was a short in the system but haven't had the chance to run that down. But with the lack of a freely rolling bike in neutral I thought it could be something else so I will check what you suggested and anything else that comes up.

thanks.

deo
      82 XJ1100 "Resurrected"
      Riding with the Son

Comment

I partsed out a couple of XJ's, but I don't remember if there is a fluid level switch in the reserviour, or not. Have you checked the fluid level?

Comment

I have not checked the levels and will do so. I just saw the need today. Thanks.

deo
          82 XJ1100 "Resurrected"
          Riding with the Son

Comment

brake fluid

Check the spooge too? Just remember also brake fluid does not evaporate. Also might want to check the rear brake pedel itself.my XJ recently was not completely realeaseing because of rust build up on the part of the brake pedel resides over. Took it all apart and sanded off the rust ,then lubed it up with some wheel bearing grease. Reassembled works slick.(pun intended)
            1982 XJ 1100
            going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
            now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

That sounds like something I can handle. I have not taken that off yet in the rebuild. the pedal seemed a bit rigid and not too forgiving so it could be it.

deo
              82 XJ1100 "Resurrected"
              Riding with the Son

Comment

Working...
              X