I got one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got one

I finally bought one (O.k) my wife bought one( but I am sure she will let me ride it once in a while. I drive a 2000 V-Star so she will drive all over me but thats o.k. I was wonderig if you could tell me some pros and cons of this bike. What problems do they have. Also what is the stock hP and torque. It is a 1979 black or blue XS 1100 Special.....that is what the add said and I could not tell in the picture if it was blue or black. It has 30,000 miles on it.
    Let me know everything there is too no about this bike.
    Mike
    If it has 2 wheels ride it.

2nd gear (cheap fix, an afternoons work, maybe 2 days), a bit small gas tank for my taste, needs a fork brace and a decent set of tires, new front springs and progressive shocks desired.
    Can leave your V-star in the dust, sync the carbs and adjust the camchain and valves on a regular basis.
    Check out the tech tips section, lotsa suff there, there is a specifications link on the left side.
    I believe it had 95 HP, bout the same torque, 1/4 mile just above 12s.
    Check out this place for a few nice pics and things that can be done with one of these bikes:

http://www.usa123.bizland.com/merria...tml/begin.html

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

1979 xs

Hey welcome fellow Dak,, check out the faq's for starters, there's a godzillion threads and these guys are the greatest!!!!! Everyone I work with ride harley's but after looking over my shoulder at work (on break of course) have this site on they're favorites!!!!!!!!!! Wanta be xs'sives!!! Down here in zap give me a shout or email!! Watch out for Benny's used parts , no deals there!!!!!!!

Comment

Cool down in ZAP.......... I am up here in MAFB........I have been here for 10 years and I graduated in Beulah in 89. The bike is really my wifes bike I have a 2000 V-Star. But I will keep you r E-mail so Next summer I might catch up with Ya.
        Mike
        If it has 2 wheels ride it.

Comment

ya, it'll definately leave a V-star in the dust.

another thing to watch out for is crimping fuel lines under the tank. I've read some advice about wrapping them in spring coils, like brake lines, but i've not tried it yet. i guess that would keep em from being able to pinch and bend up.

what's the afternoon fix on second gear? mine's not too bad yet, but if i'm not paying attention, it kicks back at me into second sometimes.
          1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

The 2nd gear fix is listed in the Tech tips on the left of the page. It's called the 'Black and Decker fix.

Comment

Second Gear Fix

The gist of the second gear problem is a spacer called a washer in the factory parts book and further defined as Part No. 90201-25287 Washer, plate (25.2-30-1.0). This "washer" is placed by the factory, on the wrong side of the Fifth gear wheel which is the gear into which the Second gear wheel engages. The "Fix" involves moving the Plate Washer and placing it on the other side of the Fifth gear wheel. Before this can be done the inside of the washer must be beveled before placing it on the shaft. This is because the inside of Fifth gear wheel has a chamfer beveled on the inside edge where it fits on the Main Shaft. A better description of this proceedure is available on the Merriam Cycles site (http://www.merriamcycles.com). The credit for "The Second Gear Fix" goes to Bob Jones, owner and proprietor of Merriam Cycles and author of a book titled "XS Eleven Heaven" and contains many years of XScessive EXperience. A sort of appendix contains lists of maintenance tips and a more detailed description of the above process. Christopher. "The Gimp"
              Christopher. "The Gimp"

Comment

Welcome
                Your wife will have a nice ride. An older bike like these need a bit of TLC. You can find out most anything here on the forum. Just ask or use the search feature. Another of the common problems are the wires from the pick-up coils, corroded wires (often on the back of the fuse box), and dirty carbs ( also bad carb kits put on by the PO). All in All, these are great bikes that are fairly easy to work on. Somethings take a bit of patience, sometimes a bit of finesse.
                Ken
                '79 xs1100f
                '79 xs1100sf

Comment

I read the book XS ELEVEN HEAVEN and really liked it. Made me want to get out and go ride.
                  "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

Working...
                  X