Will an ATV Rear End hold up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will an ATV Rear End hold up?

Hey there everyone, as iv'e been progressing on my 82 XJ1100 Golf Cart Porject... Iv'e come to the point where i need to find a suitable rear drive system... Iv'e been stuck on wanting to use a older Heavy Duty ATV Shaft Driven Rear End... I'm not sure whether or not this would hold up to the 95-hp and 65-68 Lb Ft of torque that the XJ motor puts out. So Hey anybody out there in XS/XJ land... Any of you engineers too , post anything you guys and gals might think would be of help here.. id like to finish the porject before next year. We'll see what happens i guess..

Take it easy!
    JR
    ------------------------------------
    Current Projects:
    -1982-1992 Yamaha Ezgo XJ1100 Maxim Project

The legend cars that used the XS motor, had a rear axle out of a small rear drive car. Like an old Datsun or Toyota, or the Mini Coppers and Morris Minor rear axles. It is kind of hard to find small rear wheel drive cars now days, but you should be able to find something out there. What about a Subaru Brat?
    DZ
    Vyger, 'F'
    "The Special", 'SF'
    '08 FJR1300

Comment

Light-weight auto rear axle housing and have it shortened. Hot rodders do it all the time.
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

anybody know where to find one, probly jusnkyard or ebay, hey?
        Current Projects:

Comment

Highly unlikely an ATV rear end will hold up. The sport atvs, like Yamaha's Raptor, is still only a 1-lunger at 660cc and the unit weighs in at about 400 pounds. The XJ weighs in at about 570 -580, and I have no idea what your cart tips the scales at. Applying the XJ torque through a rear end designed for half the weight and HP (350 - 400cc is more common in ATVs) would not appear to guarantee a long and trouble-free life, but I could be wrong..........

If you can't find other rear ends, try something from a light US car, like a mid to late '60s Ford Falcon or similar. These held up to 265 and 289 V-8s and are narrower and lighter than full-size sedan units. Just a thought.
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.
          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

The only probs i can think of would be that i'd most likely have to use automotive style wheels and the XS/XJ motors shaft drive comes out towards the side of the motor, you all know what i mean.. its offset not directly from the middle of the motor. So thats another dilema, i guess. I still want to use a ATV rear end... I'm stuck.... really i dont see why the atv rear wouldn't work iv'e seen the xs/xj "rear end" and the integrity seems the same between an atvs and motorcycle though i could be wrong soooo... We'll just see what happens

Thanks for the Suggestions Though!

I LOVE XS11.COM!!! SO MUCH INFORMATION IT MAKES ME CRAZY!
            Current Projects:

Comment

tracker

I sold my goldwing to a guy, and he triked it . He used a rear end out of a Suzuki tracker, had to shorten the axle and housing on one side but it works fine..........MITCH
              Doug Mitchell
              82 XJ1100 sold
              2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
              2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
              1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
              47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Remember that this engine turns BACKWARDS!!! You can use an automotive rear end, but it must be run up-side-down, or you will have five speed reverse. Auto rear ends are wide, so plan one out, tap a drain hole where the vent is and put a vent in the drain hole. Then shorten the rear end on the drive side, offsetting the drive yoke to line up with the offset transmission output. Then if the other side is too wide, shorten it also. Most housings have tapers or steps in them, shorten in this area, hopefully sliding one part over the other. The axles can be shortened by cutting off the wheel flange, cutting the axle to length, and having a machine shop weld it back on, and truing it in a lathe, or just machining the end of the axle to use the wheels that you want to run. Remember, if you use small wheels, you will have a slower gear ratio. I think the XS rear is about 3 to one. Rears for automatic trans cars are something around 2.8 to one, but smaller wheels will limit top speed. Manual shift cars are about 3.5 to one ratio, which will make top speed slower yet. If you want the top speed to compare with the motorcycle, use as close to 3.0 to 1 ratio as you can find, and use the same size wheels as the bike, ie, 16 inch wheels. If you do decide to use an ATV rear, check the rotation direction BEFORE you mount it, or you may get a surprise the first time you drop the clutch. Also, check the gear ratio, or you might find that the torque is tremendous, and the top speed is very low.
                put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
                79 F (Blueballs)
                79 SF (Redbutt)
                81 LH (organ donor)
                79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
                76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
                rover has spoken

Comment

I have a friend who's going to trike out a bike with an atv rear end, and he tells me that you have to use a yamaha rear end, as they alone have a differential. He's looking for an old yamaha three wheeler.

I am NOT an expert on this and am not attempting it, just post this fwiw because he IS an expert and thinks the atv rear will work, as long as it has a differential, and that means a yamaha.
                  The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Psalm 19:1

Comment

Oh, one more thing, he's also looking for a longer axle. I guess they come in two sizes?
                    The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Psalm 19:1

Comment

most likely ill try a yammie diff and just see what happens. I dont plan on Rippin on the golf cart when its done just a little slip of the foot every once in a while and the occasional burnout to show the other golfers what Yammie Power is Just kidding this wont be used on a golf course but i think we will probly put it in the 4th of july parade and show whos boss over those other Golf Carts! Strut my Yamaha XS/XJ Pride! Anyone know what a good start bike would cost me... Of course my mom objects the idea but since my dad had a old honda in the 80's i dont see why i couldnt? I saw a good condition 82 xj1100 maxim in my town the other day and my jaw dropped! i Really want one now! Im a sucker for anything with those tuning forks stamped on it! HEHE!

Thanks for all the help out ther is XSive land!

As always take it easy,
                      JR - xj11yamaha
                      Current Projects:

Comment

Working...
                      X