Fairing lowers and heat on an XS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairing lowers and heat on an XS?

I'm thinking about adding lowers to my Windjammer SS. Has anyone ever had any summertime over-heating issues because of lowers? Or will plenty air still get through?
    '79 XS11F Standard

Plenty of air will get through, but it makes it dificult to impossible to use your highway pegs, if you have them mounted on your crash bars.
    Highlander

Comment

I've had lowers on my bike all summer (I usually take the fairing and baggage off for summertime fun) and the bike hasn't over-heated.
      You will notice though that all the heat goes right to your legs. Gets a bit toasty in summer but a very good thing in winter (I ride all year 'round).
      I've seen some Vetter lowers that have a panel that goes back past the carbs (inside of your legs), would help with summer heat. If I feel the need I just remove the lowers.
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I had my lowers on all summer this year. I usually take them off in summer cause I like to show off that beautiful big engine. Lots of air still gets through at cruising speeds. (In fact I'd like to reduce the air coming up around the steering head through the fairing.) True, the hiway pegs mounted on the engine guards are a bit of a nuisance with lowers on. My pegs stick out enuf so I can still use them. Here's a "do-at-your-own-risk" Tip: Cold hands when riding late (or early) in the season? I warm mine up fast by dropping a hand (one at a time, of course!) down behind my knee/calf area. With the lowers on, there's loads of warm air rushing by there. I have a throttle lock on the bike to free up right hand for warming. I haven't tried this with the lowers off, but there should be some good heat there regardless. Also for foot warming on a chilly ride, I pull my feet back a bit and rest the balls of my feet on the footpegs for periods of time. This small adjustment, with the lowers on, gets feet out of the wind and beside warm engine air.
        Ride smilin'
        Dennis

Comment

I ran with my lowers on most of this summer, never overheated the engine. My lowers have the part that goes back past the carbs. Heat does come up, but not so much that it would be uncomfortable. I took my hiway pegs off, cause I could not reach them, and I didn't really like them anyhow. Later I got some floorboards, and I really like them. I used to get cramps in my calves on long trips, but with the boards, never. I will never be without the boards again, just love them. It is sort of different at stop signs, but after a while, I got used to it. I also have a heel-toe shifter, and the stock brake pedal. Now I need to find lowers for the SF, and make another set of floorboards.
          put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
          79 F (Blueballs)
          79 SF (Redbutt)
          81 LH (organ donor)
          79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
          76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
          rover has spoken

Comment

I run lowers on my Windjammer IV. Very nice to have in cool weather.

Lowers mount with "well nuts", 3/8 inch, available at Tru-Valu and other hardware stores. I use SS bolts on mine to avoid rust. Cost was less than half eBay and other sources.

Well nuts are rubber plugs with a threaded metal insert. Tightening the bolts expands the rubber. 4 required per side, I think.

Not all lowers are interchangeable. Go to Craig Vetter's web page and scroll down to the Lowers section, and find which type(s) fit your SS. URL is:

http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/Vet...y_of_part.html

Basically you want any version type 1 though 10, but not higher.

I paid about $70.00 for mine from ebay, that was a couple years ago. Good luck.
            Jerry Fields
            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
            '06 Concours
            My Galleries Page.
            My Blog Page.
            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys. Much appreciated!
              '79 XS11F Standard

Comment

Only thing that overheated this summer because of my lowers were my legs- wearing shorts at the time. Only did that once -ouch!. Looking forward to winter riding- my first bike ever with full dress. Does make existing hiway pegs less than comfortable, but I can probably do something about that.
                '81H
                '77 GS750
                '80 ATC 200
                '79SF [stolen]

Comment

Hey, Rover
                  Are your floorboards made for the XS11 or did you adapt some others?
                  Dennis

Comment

They are after market items made for the XS and XJ, back when they were late model bikes. I have no idea where to find anymore. I have them on a 79F, and plan to make a set for my FS this winter. If you want pics of them, PM me with your email addy.
                    put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
                    79 F (Blueballs)
                    79 SF (Redbutt)
                    81 LH (organ donor)
                    79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
                    76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
                    rover has spoken

Comment

I ran my 81 Midnight with the lowers on one summer and had no problems at all. In fact, I even rode down Main Street at the Sturgis Rally with 'em on, and not a hint of overheating, though the clutch did get a bit testy the second time I tried it in the same night.
                      Have to admit that I found I preferred the lowers on during the winter months for protection and a bit of heat off the engine, but was more comfortable without them in the summer.
                      Bob
                      81 XS1100LH (Boomerang?)
                      I hate advice.. unless I'm giving it.

Comment

Working...
                      X