finding replacement clutch cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finding replacement clutch cable

i own a xs1100 midnight special (jya4w1000ba001180). I snapped my clutch cable and cannot find another one.I live near Manchester UK i have tried all the usuall places but no one can find one. Can someone please help me as it is costing me a fortune getting to and from work!!!!!!!
    gary

Sarre, buy the bare cable from a bike or car shop and solder on the ends yourself.

Comment

in states cables are everywere.

The dealer, e-bay are two sourses i know of for sure. there should be others.
      1982 XJ 1100
      going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
      now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

thanks for info. cables are no longer stocked by yamaha. or local dealers. have had to go to US for suppliers, awaiting info
        gary

Comment

If a motorbike shop hasn't got coils of spare brake/clutch wire, then they shouldn't be in bloody business.

Comment

saby send me your phone number so i can ring you,might be able to help you out and i am only down the road from you.

Comment

I ran into something like this for my dirtbike.Take your old cable off and see if anybody can match it up.I had to change the tip on one side to make mine work on my dirt bike but a XS cable and other Yamaha models should interchange.Good luck.
              Bill Harvell

Comment

thanks for all the advice. I rang a guy in california who is sending me a new original cable for 13 pounds (36 $) i will let you know if it fits!!!!
                gary

Comment

Any shop should be able to make a new one.
                  You can make one yourself, with a few tools.

LP
                  If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                  (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

13 pounds? I hope that includes shipping. A new one is only about $15 US.

Comment

Could one of you guys elaborate on making cables? I'm in the process of putting on drag bars and I need to shorten all my cables. I'd Like to keep cutting (the outer sheath) until they fit just right.
                      2010 Kawasaki Z1000
                      1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

Tommy, I once tried to repair a cable by cutting the handlebar end, and making a new piece of dowel, for the end that goes in the clutch lever, drilling a hole for the cable, and soldering it on to the cable, but the solder let loose later. I then bought a new cable. But I thought about it, and instead of soldering, I should have drilled a hole from the end of the dowel that goes into the clutch lever, tapping it for a small set screw, and using that to hold the cable to the end. I never did try it, but maybe you could make it work to shorten your cable. A suggestion; before you cut the inner cable, clean the place where you will cut, and using a propane torch, heat the area of the cut, just enough to flow some low temperature solder to hold the cable from fraying the end when you cut it. Heat sparingly, or you will take the temper out of the cable. Might work.
                        put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
                        79 F (Blueballs)
                        79 SF (Redbutt)
                        81 LH (organ donor)
                        79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
                        76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
                        rover has spoken

Comment

Snip the wire to the right length, poke it through your old casing and for doing the ends splay the wires out, get everything super hot with soldering iron and when finished file or grind smooth and flush.

Comment

Hi all new to site,But had same problem on my 1.1s found that the clutch cable from a kamakasi Z1 will fit and has adjuster for cable if you drill the hole in clutch cover out about 1mm larger,and a lot easier to get hold of over here in blighty

Comment

Top tips...

Ah-ha....thanks for the top tip black1.1s.... looks like you and I share a taste in xs11's, so interesting to know about the clutch cable

So - where abouts in blighty are you?
                              XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
                              Guzzi 850
                              Z1000

Comment

Working...
                              X