Msd Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Msd Install

I JST BOUGHT AN MSD MC1 ON EBAY, AND I WANNA KNO IF WE HVE POINTS OR TRIGGERS. ALSO IF ANYBODY HAS DONE THIS INSTALL, ANY HELP OR NOTES WOULD BE GREATLY APRECIATED.
    L. G.
    1979 XS1100SF
    Exodia, "The Forbidden One"
    1988 CBR600F Hurricane
    Tempest- died Aug. 10, 2005
    198x XS850
    -no name yet-

We do not have breaker points. I guess you say we have triggers.

Comment

it is a bit more complicated than that.

First, the XS is actually two, two cyclinder engines running on the same crank, as far as the ignition system is concerned. #1 and #4 are one engine (same coil), #2 and #3 are another (the other coil). There is no single point of connection common to both the ignition systems. So, it would require two MSD units.

Second, each pair of ignition systems, fires each spark plug twice. Each ignition system has one trigger and fires the coil every 360 degrees of crank rotation, or twice in the complete 4 stroke sequence. I am not sure if this would be a problem for the MSD units.
      DZ
      Vyger, 'F'
      "The Special", 'SF'
      '08 FJR1300

Comment

I have actually emailed MSD about this question. Their answer was that they had a unit that will work on the XS11 but you must use their coils. For the box and 2 coils was approx $700. It has been so long ago that i forgot what the part number was.
        Shawn
        78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
        78 XS1100E Parts
        www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

Second, each pair of ignition systems, fires each spark plug twice. Each ignition system has one trigger and fires the coil every 360 degrees of crank rotation, or twice in the complete 4 stroke sequence. I am not sure if this would be a problem for the MSD units.
          Dennyz is referring to a waste spark on each pair of cylinders. Each cylinder fires on each compression stroke and on each exhaust stroke. I can't see how this could be a problem with any ignition system. My late model XS650 operates this way as well.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

It takes some simple circuitry to "And" the to trigger pulses together so a single MSD unit would work.
            DZ
            Vyger, 'F'
            "The Special", 'SF'
            '08 FJR1300

Comment

Working...
            X