Front Master Cylinder Disassembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Master Cylinder Disassembly

O.K., I'm stumped. I've tried everything but dynamite to remove the snap ring that holds the piston in the master cylinder on a 79 special. I can't find any tool around that is long enough to reach in to pinch the clip. Anybody have a solution?
    Thanks,
    Don

I have plenty of 'snapring"pliers lying around... I just can't 'member where I bought them. Take your master cylinder to Sears and see if they have anything that fits. I did have a pair of 'snapring" pliers that I bought from Harbor Freight or somewhere. They were too short, but I managed to grind away the middle outer section of them, thus making the legs skinnier so that they'd slip further into the cylinder. Hope that helps.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

You can also use a seal puller and small screwdriver. The seal puller looks like an ice pick with the end bent up. Push the piston in with screwdriver and hook the puller in the snapring and pull inward to pull snapring out of its grove. Then you can remove snapring with puller or screwdriver. I use my workmate workbench to secure the master cylinder for this job.
      Do'Lee
      Do'Lee
      XS1100SF "Green Hornet"
      (1) XS1100LG "Midnight Dream" Restoration has begun.
      (2) XS1100LG "Midnight Madness" Waiting to be next
      (5) multi partsters for bobber "Ruby Red II" On the list.
      SR500H "Silver Streak"

Comment

Thanks. FYI - I bought the SEARS snapring pliers - not long enough. I also tried an auto supply store - no better. The seal puller idea sounds like the way to go!

Comment

You might try to get in touch with a tool dealer like mac tools, matco, or snap-on in your area. I bought a snapring tool with enterchangeable tips, but it was still faster and easier for me to use the screwdriver and seal puller method.
          Do'Lee
          Do'Lee
          XS1100SF "Green Hornet"
          (1) XS1100LG "Midnight Dream" Restoration has begun.
          (2) XS1100LG "Midnight Madness" Waiting to be next
          (5) multi partsters for bobber "Ruby Red II" On the list.
          SR500H "Silver Streak"

Comment

There are lots of cheap long point needlenose pliers that wil do the job - the only trick is finding them I believe I got mine at Princess Auto up here on this side of the border. Even then, the trick is to grab the unit gently in a bench vise, use a screwdriver to depress the plunger, then use the pliers to remove the circlip. If you happen to shoot a bit of penetrating fluid in there to loosen it up a bit, be careful not to squint down inside to see how the plier points are gripping the holes as you squeeze the handles. At least, don't do this without wearing safety glasses.

DAMHIKIFD
            Ken Talbot

Comment

to remove the snap ring that holds the piston in the master cylinder

to remove the snap ring that holds the piston in the master cylinder, I used a pair of sharp needle nose pliers that I bought at harbor frieght. worked like a charm, I guessed the size hole thats on the snap ring, and tried to match it, worked well.

Comment

Working...
              X