Drive shaft oil seal removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive shaft oil seal removal

My 82 XJ1100J is slowly becoming a radically lowered and raked out chopper. Fork rake is now at 45 deg. Ass end is lowered so that the frame is level. I am in the process of changing over to chain drive. So far it hasn't been too difficult.
    The middle gear assy is removed and it looks like I can use the oil seal off of the drive shaft (fwd of the U-joints) on the shaft coming out of the tranny. I am having a new case machined to replace the middle gear case and would need an oil seal to make it work. If anyone know how to remove the oil seal and could let me know, I'd be grateful. If anyone has done a chain conversion and has any other ideas, that would be great too.

Thanks,
    Terry Brady
    Conway, AR
    If you do it right the first time, nobody will notice.

Do it right a thousand times and screw up once, get ready for an ass chewin.

I destroyed my old oil seal when I was replacing it with a new one. It was a pain in the @$$ to pull out.

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Why not just get a new seal? Very difficult, almost impossible in fact, to remove a seal and still have it in shape to be used again. It would be a shame to have one of those nagging oil leaks after all the work you're putting into it. That and the fact that it will leave your middle gear box intact and VERY saleable.
      Brian
      1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
      1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
      remembering the same thing!

Comment

Thanks Strom and Xssessive one. Buyin a new seal would be quicker and EASIER. Hopefully the two shafts are the same size and I can just order the same part number.

Thanks again,
        T.B.
        If you do it right the first time, nobody will notice.

Do it right a thousand times and screw up once, get ready for an ass chewin.

Comment

Working...
        X