Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mystery hose

Hey guys,
    I'm in the process of putting my 80 Midnight Special back on the road,and being apart for 5+ years I have a hose I can't find a place for. It is located in the back of the engine, in the center, right beside the large breather hose that goes into the airbox. It is attached to a nipple/plug thing that sticks out of the case. The hose is small like the one from the octopus to the manifold. It's probably 10 to12 inches long. Anyone know where the other end goes? Thanks in advance.
    Richard

I'm not near my XS right now, but could it be the hose to the vacuum advance...goes down in front of gearshift under cover on side of engine?

Just my guess.

'82 XJ1100J-John
    '78 XS1100E-Name Forthcoming (It's a Girl!)

Comment

Hey Hepcat,
      No I don't think that is it. That one goes into the #2 carb, I believe. This one is in the back of the engine, very close to the breather hose that goes from the center of the engine to the airbox,( the one end that is still connected).

Comment

Richard,

That's a cankcase vent hose. Route it down the rear of the enginge case and through the loop on the engine. The same route as the battery vent hose.

Randy

Comment

On the 78E models, that hose is simply held in place by the top airbox retainer bracket. It terminates there, open, and points in the foreward direction, and is attached on the left side of that bracket. Maybe to keep out weather???

Originally posted by randy
          Richard,

That's a cankcase vent hose. Route it down the rear of the enginge case and through the loop on the engine. The same route as the battery vent hose.

Randy
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Thanks Randy
            I kinda figured if it was something important I'd have made a mental note. The length of the hose had me second guessing myself. I found the loop and it worked perfectly. In fact I don't remember taking it out, I think the previous owner may have for whatever reason. Anyway thanks again. Once I get this thing back on the road,( with the help of this awesome site), I'll try to send some pics. It's gonna be Mad Max as hell!!!
            Richard

Comment

That little hose

It vents the middle drive to the atmosphere. It is routed up under the seat and is held in place by a small bracket that attaches to the front mount for the airbox.

Comment

Working...
              X