Wheel Bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Bearing

Okay here is the deal. Went riding on Madness with a friend a few weekends ago. Noticed a lovely noise from the rear of the bike. Pulled over checked everything (so I thought) out, I thought the calipher on the rear tire was rubbing so made and adjustment (Insert screwdriver and pull) and off we go no more noise. Stopped to see a friend noise was back but with its friend bike wobble. Which by the way is quite scary at speed. Looked over my shoulder at the rear axle which of course was spinning like a top inside the swingarm. Obvious what the problem is now. Pull over call a friend with a trailer to come get me. No clouds in the sky I thought oh well at least its not raining. Them our friend Murphy showed up with his d*&^ laws. So we decided in the thuderstorm we would make a run for a little store about 2 miles up the road. Made there no problem 1st gear both feet on the ground (I needed new boots anyway). Sit back and wait. Friend shows up with trailer (after the rain has stopped of course). Pull Madness up onto the trailer and front brake line explodes spraying brake fluid right into my friends face. So the point of this story is no matter how bad it is most of the time it gets worse...

Anyone know where I can get a set of wheel bearing for the rear of my 78 XS. Parts numbers would be nice.

Thanks YALL.

ENJOY THE SUN IT WONT LAST...
    Madness comes from within.

78 XS 1100 E (at Birth) "Madness"
    79 XS1100 parts bike "hunk of junk"
    83 Sportster "Lunacy"
    72 Shovel "Dark Shovel"

Springer, they're both available at your friendly Yamaha dealer. Of course, they won't be in stock, but probably a week away.

Randy

Comment

If you can remove the bearings, then take them to a bearing supply company, and they should have them. That's how I replaced my front wheel bearings. Price will be about half the dealers price.

Comment

Originally posted by John
        If you can remove the bearings, then take them to a bearing supply company, and they should have them. That's how I replaced my front wheel bearings. Price will be about half the dealers price.
        Unfortunately, only one of the rears will be available from the bearing supply company. One is the same as the front IIRC, the other is unique to Yamaha, and only available from them.

Of course, if you manage to source one at a bearing supply house, let us know as I am sure there are a several that would buy one as a spare.
        Brian
        1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
        1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
        remembering the same thing!

Comment

Thanks

I will do some scouting around and see what I can find. I will put an update up later.

Thanks

79 XS1100 parts bike "hunk of junk"
          83 Sportster "Lunacy"
          72 Shovel "Dark Shovel"

Comment

Below is a link to the XJ rear wheel microfiche, think the bearing part numbers are the same as the XS. This is a .pdf file.

Rear Wheel Microfiche
            Jerry Fields
            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
            '06 Concours
            My Galleries Page.
            My Blog Page.
            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Thanks

Thanks That helps alot