Xj Lcd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xj Lcd

The LCD display on my XJ is really difficult to read under the best of conditions, let alone daily driving conditions. It seems to have gotten worse since May. Is there any way to darken/contrast/make it easier to read? Am I looking at finding a new one? Also, the speedo "catches" from 42 to 62...maybe I ought to just replace both of them.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

'82 XJ1100J-John
    '78 XS1100E-Name Forthcoming (It's a Girl!)

XJ has an LCD?
    OK... got a 78E.... no LCD there....

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

There is nothing the in Yamaha service manual about adjusting the brightnes/contrast of the LCD panel. You might try pulling and cleaning all the electrical contacts that feed into the instrument cluster, about 6 bundles of wires if I remember correctly......

Various threads on the XJ gauge cluster in the past. If you pull the unit out, check for an over-long screw that catches on the gears inside the case. Apparently some units were assembled incorrectly with longer than specified screws.

"Catching" or bouncing needle is more often a problem with the speedo cable than the speedo itself. The inside shaft catches on the outside housing, then releases. Check your cable routing, and for any indication of damage to the cable housing. Eventually you will need to replace the cable, cost is around $15 - $18 with shipping.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Jon, if all else fails, I do have a spare lcd unit that I would sell you for a reasonable price.
        LMK
        John
        82 XJ1100J
        "eXJunk"

Comment

Working...
        X