removing wheels for tire change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing wheels for tire change

I've got my new tires - Dunlop Elite 491 - and I'm looking over the wheels and how to remove.... Any hints, suggestions?

Do I just loosen the pinch bolts (front and back)
    Do I need to remove the rear shocks?

I've never removed motorcyle wheels before and it all looks a bit unfamiliar.

Tom B.

The rear wheel is easy enough... you've got the axle, with a large nut on the left side, and held in a sleeve on the right side. You may need to remove the shocks to access the axle, so see to that.

After you have access, you'll see a cotter pin going through the large nut, keeping it from turning off. Remove the cotter pin and the nut. Go to the right side and look at the sleeve, you'll see a nut compressing the sleeve so as to maintain pressure on the axle. Loosen it. The axle should pull out to the right, but you might need to tap it out from the left. Then you need to dismount the rear brake and set the parts out of the way.

If it sounds confusing, take a good look at your axle and it should make sense.

--NOW-- this is where I need help.

I can't get the axle to go back in!!

When I have all the back end components apart, I can get the axle to slide through each, no problem. I can put the axle in from the left, almost all the way. But I can't put it in more than about 4" from the right. Does anyone know what is going on?

Thanks,
    iron_llama
    Rule 1: Pillage, then burn.
    Rule 13: Do unto others
    www.schlockmercenary.com

Comment

Sounds like you need to hold your tongue a different way, and wiggle the axle a little more. It should slide through easily. Maybe a little lube on the threads, and a light striking with a hammer might help. As many times as I've had mine off, I've never had any trouble getting the rear axle back in.

Comment

Thanks... what part is the tongue?
        www.schlockmercenary.com

Comment

Rear Axle Installation

Take the tongue in your mouth and push it hard into your left cheek!
          Within the wheel there is a space between the two wheel bearings. This can slip down a bit so as the axle passes through the first wheel bearing and enters the sleeve/spacer it strikes the edge of the off side wheel bearing. The axle is then hung up and will not pass through. Give it a wiggle. possibly put a small punch through the hole on the right end of the axle and wiggle things around to get the axle to enter the off side wheel bearing.
          Ken/Sooke
          78E Ratbyk
          82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

thanks, I'll try to futz with it some more later on.
            www.schlockmercenary.com

Comment

Working...
            X