Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

found lots of 2nd gear info.... but not much first gear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• found lots of 2nd gear info.... but not much first gear.

my new motorcycle is skipping under heavy accelleration in first gear.

is the fix the same as 2nd gear only with 1st & 4th gears instead of 2nd & 5th?

just my luck that it's first gear - cuz i have a good set of 2/5 sitting in the garage.
    Last edited by beechfront; 09-15-2004, 09:23 PM.

It is the same fix. If you can afford it, take the whole trans shaft to a machine shop, or better yet, go to an independent shop and ask them where is a good machine shop to have some work done on your bike. When you get to the shop, show them how the gears mesh, and why they slip. If you understand the pricipal of 'undercutting' then you can explain it to the machinist, and he can macine a 5-10 degree cut on the dogs and slots, and that will cure the problem. Some Suziki's had very similiar problems, so chances are the shop kows what to do.

Comment

Hey there Beechfront,

Didn't you see this thread?
      1st and 2nd gear fix, by TC

It has pictures of the offending 1st gear slots and 4th gear dogs, and some diagrams that you could save and print to take with you to the machine shop, if you decide to go that route vs. doing it yourself!? The only difference is that the dogs and slots for 1st and 4th are flat across, vs. the rounded ones for all the other gears!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

brain fart

i feel pretty stupid. got to looking through my old parts and found the gears i replaced in my good bike two years ago - and low and behold there were 1st/4th gears there and not just 2nd/5th as i had thought. so i must have done it once already they are in good shape too - shouldn't need undercutting. only reason i replaced them - i guess i just wanted an excuse to tear into things... and 'preventive maintenance' was that excuse. i completely forgot i did both sets.

i didn't see that post either topcat. i did a search for first gear and found pages upon pages of 2nd gear info - and to be honest i just didn't feel like sifting through it all. my apologies for being lazy.

i realized recently that i make a lot of posts on this forum that aren't really necessary. none of my friends are into motorcycles - at least as much as i have been lately - and i tend to use this forum as a way to just BS about stuff i am doing with people who might actually be interested. so sorry if i get repetetive at times.

Comment

Working...
        X