Simple Carb Cleaning Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Carb Cleaning Questions

Is it necessary to remove the butterfly assembly prior to 'dipping' carb?
    Also, what is the 'least damaging' procedure for removing stuck float needle valves (pressed-in variety)?

TIA,
    brian

Carb Cleaning

Strongly recommend that you DO NOT dip or soak your Mikuni carbs in a strong carb cleaner. There are seals around the throttle shafts where they enter the carb bodies. These are damaged if exposed to strong carb cleaning solutions. Wash your carbs in lacquer thinner or similar solvent. Use commercially available carb cleaners in aerosol cans with a straw type plastic tube to direct your cleaner through various channels and galleries in the carb body.If these channels are blocked use a small copper wire to probe. Suggest not using steel wire etc. to avoid scratching/damaging critical "flow" areas.
    Use lots of air pressure as you soften deposits with the cleaner and wire. Wear safety glasses, those cleaners sting like - - ll.
    Take your time, lots of soak time, lots of air pressure. This is "fun" time. The race is yet to begin.
    Ken/Sooke
    78E Ratbyk
    82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

If you need to replace the throttle shaft seals, you can get them from www.motorcyclecarbs.com

I had to drill out two of the float valves on my carbs, as well as two of the pilot jets. The float valves were easy, but the pilot jets were tough.

Good luck!
      Bill Murrin
      Nashville, TN
      1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
      1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
      2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
      2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
      1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
      2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

The only things I soaked on my carbs was the removable brass parts (jets, pilot screws, emulsion tubes, etc). The carb bodies were cleaned with spray cleaner and air. I did not remove any of the throttle parts, or separate the carbs from the rack.
        John
        82 XJ1100J
        "eXJunk"

Comment

Hey Brian,

What they said, plus the float needle valves just slide in and out, so if yours is stuck, it's probably just corroded/gummed! Now, the valve needle SEAT has an O-ring around it, and you have to pry it out to replace that O-ring, the seat just pressure fits, doesn't screw in! Take your time, have fun!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

If you plan on replacing the needle and seat, then try using an Easy Out in the seat. Get it in good n' deep, and then twist it counter clockwise to break it loose from the carb body, the use some vice grips to pull it from the carb. That worked for me. Don't overlook the use of WD40 or similiar product.

Comment

Working...
            X