My tank has a third nipple!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My tank has a third nipple!

Sorry for that shocking headline folks! I just got a standard tank off of ebay, and it has what appears to be a hose barb type connection right where the seat and tank meet. Is this stock!? I really think it has been added on. Perhaps someone got sick of the petcocks?
    2010 Kawasaki Z1000
    1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Yeah Tommy, that is stock. It's sort of an over flow from the filler neck area. It runs through the tank. Check it to make sure it doesn't have any pinholes in it. Fuel will come out of it if there holes in the tube where it passes through the tank. It should be vented, by a hose to the area near the swingarm.

Comment

That is a drain nipple from the tank cap area. To drain fuel splash out, rain and wash water. If you have a lot of fuel draining after a fill-up drain tube inside of fuel tank could have rust holes and you will need to plug the nipple and drain hole neer the tank cap.
      Do'Lee
      Do'Lee
      XS1100SF "Green Hornet"
      (1) XS1100LG "Midnight Dream" Restoration has begun.
      (2) XS1100LG "Midnight Madness" Waiting to be next
      (5) multi partsters for bobber "Ruby Red II" On the list.
      SR500H "Silver Streak"

Comment

Do I need it then, if the bike will be dry and I don't overfill? I guess removing it is just additional work. I'm putting this tank on a Special.
        2010 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

it is important that there is no obstruction inside that fine pipeline else rainwater migth find a way to pass the old rubber that close the tank,so check by pouring in some fuel if it goes down the drainhole
          xs1100 black 78 2h9 on the road
          xs1100 red 79 special with sidecar running on LPG and gas!
          xs1100 silber 79 2h9 o t r
          xs1100 white 80 2h9 Martini o t r
          xs1100 red 78 2h9 Martini o t r
          xs1100 black 80 special o t r
          xs1100 black 80 2h9 in parts sleeping
          xs1100 black 81sport for sale!sleeping
          xs1100 silber 81 2h9 i.p. sleeping
          xs1100black81midnspeciali.p.sleeping
          cbx1000 grey prolink 81 sleeping
          cbx1000prolink 83 in parts sleeping
          gsx750ex red 81 in parts sleeping

Comment

Standard tank on Special

Hi Tommy,
            my XS11SG came with both a Standard & a Special tank. To fit the Standard tank you will have to modify the Special seat. I found that with the Standard tank mounted the bike's seat wouldn't latch at the front. The Special's seat foam is tailored to fit the shallow curve of the Special tank and the steeper curve of the Standard tank forces the seat's front upwards so it's front latching plate can't slide under the frame loop that's supposed to hold it down.
            Fred Hill, S'toon.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Thanks for the tip Fred! I have an old seat, the King-Queen type. (Eeeeww! but great for 2-up riding) It appears to be the standard seat pan with a vertical piece tack welded to it. I'm planning on cutting off the backrest section and making a custom seat. If someone has a regular seat pan and would like to trade it (even-steven, you pay shipping) for my intact K-Q seat, shoot me an e-mail to gpslaser@yahoo.com.
              2010 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

To add to Do Lee's comment: (If you have a lot of fuel draining after a fill-up, drain tube inside of fuel tank could have rust holes and you will need to plug the nipple and drain hole near the tank cap.)
                After topping off with fuel, by the time I return to the bike after paying I sometimes have a little puddle underneath where gas has dripped from the tube. This is due to me putting too much fuel in it. With the bike leaning on the side stand, fuel gets past the rubbber sealing ring on the gas cap and and flows out the drain hole down the hose.
                "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

That drain is most important for fuel overflow. You hit the nail on the head! The "trick" is to stop short of the bottom of the filler neck when filling. That way, as the air pocket expands from the changes in temperature, it doesn't push the fuel upwards! I do this while sitting on the bike and holding it vertical, to make sure.

Originally posted by prometheus578
                  To add to Do Lee's comment: (If you have a lot of fuel draining after a fill-up, drain tube inside of fuel tank could have rust holes and you will need to plug the nipple and drain hole near the tank cap.)
                  After topping off with fuel, by the time I return to the bike after paying I sometimes have a little puddle underneath where gas has dripped from the tube. This is due to me putting too much fuel in it. With the bike leaning on the side stand, fuel gets past the rubbber sealing ring on the gas cap and and flows out the drain hole down the hose.
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Isn't a third nipple called a "nubbin?" :-)
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

uhhh... nubbin? I'm a little out of my element here.
                      2010 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

The term comes from the sit-com, "Friends."

Originally posted by tommystinson
                        uhhh... nubbin? I'm a little out of my element here.
                        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

Working...
                        X