Routing Throttle Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Routing Throttle Cable

How is the throttle cable supposed to be routed? When I pull the handlebars to the right, the engine revs up. Was the cable replaced by the PO with a cable that was too short?

I guess I know now why the adjustment was way off when I got it...it was adjusted out to where the throttle didn't rev when the bars were turned, but this made it very interesting when going from idle to giving it some gas...

'82 XJ1100J-John
    '78 XS1100E-Name Forthcoming (It's a Girl!)

routing

mine comes off the throttle grip than a small slack space then under the backbone of frame another small slack space then to carbs.PO might have adjusted the idle at the bar end. Start over from scratch,first losen up at bar end,(a lot so you know its not pulling on cable) Next adjust idle,adjust screw is under the bank of carbs (knurled end on it,you can do this by hand ) once idle is set , go back to the bar end and adjust for cable slop.make sure to check offten by turning bars all left and right to make sure it's not reving the motor. A new cable could help too,recently had symptems like yours,turned out to be a very sticky cable. Got one ebay for like 11 dollars. works like new now
    1982 XJ 1100
    going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
    now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Throttle Cable

Lubricating once a year helps to eliminate any sticking and extending cable life. Disconnect from the throttle control. Support in a vertical position. Roll a piece of card board (not corrugated) into a funnel shaped sleeve. Using masking tape, tape it to the outer cable at/near the top just where the inner cable enters. Fill with #30 motor oil and walk away for a couple of hours. Allow the oil to seep down between inner and outer cable.
      Work the inner cable in/out a few times to distribute the oil a bit. Reassemble to throttle sleeve and adjust leaving an 1/8" to a 1/4" of slack.
      Repeat the operation on the clutch cable as well. It will add tears to your cable life and greatly reduce the possibility of failure while on the road.
      Ken/Sooke
      78E Ratbyk
      82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

Working...
      X