new addition to xs family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new addition to xs family

my bikes long lost brother has been found. i picked up another 79 special. $400

broken speedometer reads 9000 miles, and corresponds to title done in 1999. i am guessing around 15,000 miles. it had not run for at most 1 year.

has new carb boots, and new progressive shocks in back. I am told it has a dynojet kit in it as well. this was done less than 5 years ago. not sure why it got abandoned.

on the dynojet kit. what exactly does that include? any way i can tell if it does in fact have it? if so, hopefully i can salvage it. i am looking to do the big bore on my current bike, which i am also now putting 4-1 on. i figure the dyno-jet kit would help that out.

went to pick it up - i stuck a good battery in. started tough but got it going. clutch cable is seized which made it interesting. but only 2 blocks so not too big of a deal.

got it home - changed oil, fresh gas. won't start. no spark. it tried going for a brief moment then nothing. black box is good. hmmmm....

regardless, another XS has been saved (hopefully)

Won't Star

Now you know why it was parked. Head straight for the pick up coil wires.
    Ken/Sooke
    78E Ratbyk
    82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

yeah i was thinking either that or the coils. but i suppose the odds of both coils going out are slim.

he said it was running ok when it was parked... but who knows.

aside from figuring out the electrical problems... looks like i am going to need/work on:

speedometer
      side covers
      back brakes are sticking
      air filter

.... i am sure i will find some other things.

Comment

Check the fuse box too...There is one that is for the kill switch, or something like that, and after messing around in there, seeing waht needed to be fixed, the bike wouldn't run. I finally looked that the wiring diagram while trying to reassemble the fuse box, and realized that is what was causing the problems. I still gotta fix the box, but I jumpered it up with the alligator clip things, and it fired right up. (I'm not riding it like this...still a few other things to get done...)

Kevin
        '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
        '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

Servicing New Ride

Put the word out on this forum and you will likely find a working speedo for $10.00 plus shipping.
          No comment on side covers.
          Rear brakes: put up on center stand and back the push rod out that runs up into the master 2 complete revolutions. If it is still sticking, either the rear caliper needs a kit or the compensating port (spooge hole) is plugged. When the rear brake is dragging crack the caliper bleeder screw for an instant. If pressure forces out some brake fluid it is the master. If fluid does not squirt out it is the caliper.
          Winter is coming and you need something to keep out of trouble. Have fun. After your run to Alaska you know how reliable these things can be. Take your time, do it right and have fun.
          Ken/Sooke

Comment

i checked the fuses and they all look ok - but it is the stock fusebox so wouldn't surprise me if there is other problems.

thanks ken for the brake advice. really looking forward to working on this bike over the next few months.

Comment

pics

here are some pictures

PICTURES

Comment

Pics

Looks like a lot of bike for $600.00. Congratulations, good buy.
                ken/Sooke

Comment

$400

Comment

Originally posted by beechfront
                    $400
                    Thief!

Comment

New Bike

Wow! thats 33 1/3% better than a real good deal.
                      Ken/Sooke

Comment

DRAT!

stuck carbs from my good bike on it tonight. runs great but.....

first gear skips under load.

Comment

2nd Gear Skip

Sounds like you got the "Twin" just in time. Before this is all over you are going to be an expert on XS'S. Possibly the new "twin" is about to become your primary bike.
                          Fortunately I have never had this problem so no first hand advise. I think TC is your man on this one. From all I have read though the "turn the bike upside down"would be the way I would attack it. Just to be different-it's in my nature.
                          Ken/Sooke

Comment

Wow $400 whole dollars and a couple of blocks away, I think somebody got screwed in this deal. I could probably help ya out and take it off your hands, since it has a broken speedo and no side covers. Will you deliver to Houston?
                            There's always a way, figure it out.
                            78XS11E

Comment

KICK ASS

i forgot about the extra 1&4 gears i had. also have xtra 2/5. Glad they didn't sell on ebay when i tried.

Comment

Working...
                              X