Recondition float needles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recondition float needles?

Seems I just can't win! Today I went thru my carb bodies with a fine tooth comb (actually a thin wire, carb cleaner, and air). I did the bench synch, and partial assembly and then went to set float level. So far so good. I put the bowls on the pair on one end, set 'em up on the stand and went to check the fuel levels on that pair. Damn! Now the valves aren't sealing! Tore 'em back down, cleaned everything up and even made sure the o-rings were good. Still can't get 'em to seal! I've noticed that the rubber tips already have a light groove where they seal to the seats. And I've hardly run the thing since last winter when i first got it running again. Is there any way to recondition these rubber tips? I found a new set of needles and seats on eBay, but $30 just isn't in the budget right now. If I can't figure out a way around this problem, I might be done 'till next year........... 'Bout ready to give up!
    John
    82 XJ1100J
    "eXJunk"

Once they have a groove worn into them, there's no saving them. Try Parts&more for a new set.

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I have taken the rubber tipped ones and wiped them on a tee shirt soaked with Gum-out and quickly dried them. It gets the crust off. Also you can use a soqked Q-tip un the seats. Make sure that the internal springs are working in the needles.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer
        Once they have a groove worn into them, there's no saving them. Try Parts&more for a new set.

Geezer
        That's a thought. However, Parts'nMore has a $30 minimum order, which kinda defeats the purpose for me. If anybody has a suggestions where I could get float needles for less than that, please let me know..
        Oh I did completely clean the needles and seats with carb cleaner and air.
        John
        82 XJ1100J
        "eXJunk"

Comment

I can burn up 30 bucks pretty quick at P&M. Look hard and I'm sure you'll find more stuff you want. ;o)

Geezer

Originally posted by macnut xj

That's a thought. However, Parts'nMore has a $30 minimum order, which kinda defeats the purpose for me. If anybody has a suggestions where I could get float needles for less than that, please let me know..
          Oh I did completely clean the needles and seats with carb cleaner and air.

Comment

Re: Recondition float needles?

Is there any way to recondition these rubber tips?
            You have one *maybe* fix, as long as the groove isn't too deep. I did this once as an emergency fix until I could get a new needle. So maybe this will work for you also.

You need a variable speed drill, some fine sandpaper (600 grit or finer), and water for the sandpaper.

Chuck the needle in the drill. Spin it at low speed, and take a piece of 600 grit sandpaper and using very light pressure, polish the rubber until the groove is gone. Be careful not to alter the shape of the rubber other than polishing the groove out.

Since this obviously reduced the size of the rubber tip, the needle will go in a little deeper now before it seats. You will have to check your float height and adjust as needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer
              I can burn up 30 bucks pretty quick at P&M. Look hard and I'm sure you'll find more stuff you want. ;o)

Geezer

I'm sure I could too, that's not the problem. The problem is the budget right now! Unfortunately, I may not have any choice.....

I may try that sanding idea. Heck, what have I got to lose? It aint like they're doing me any good the way they are!
              John
              82 XJ1100J
              "eXJunk"

Comment

I may try that sanding idea. Heck, what have I got to lose? It aint like they're doing me any good the way they are!
                Don't use sandpaper. If you're down, dirty and desperate, try fine valve lapping compound but I sill think you'll have to buy new ones.

Geezer

Comment

I have to admit that right now I am pretty desperate. It really sucks to be this close to maybe having my problem solved with this bike, but not being able to find out for sure because of this!
                  John
                  82 XJ1100J
                  "eXJunk"

Comment

I may have one or 2 good ones floating around in my spares. What year is your XS11? I'll did though my junk over the next couple days and see what I can come up with.

I'm willing to be some of the other list members might have one or 2 used but still usable float valves to toss your way.

Geezer

Comment

Hey MacNut,

You probably don't need new float valve seats, just the needles, and you can get them separately also from PartsnMore for $4.00 each, so for $16.00, you can have a new set, vs. the $10.00 for each seat/valve combo!? Just another possibility!?
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Actually TC, Parts'nMore has a $30 minimum order.
                        Tony, my bike is an 82 XJ. I think 80 and 81 XS is the same. Thanks!
                        John
                        82 XJ1100J
                        "eXJunk"

Comment

You should be able to pick up new needles at any dealer. The shop I work at sells them for about $5 per. I consider that a ripoff considering what we pay for them, but the boss needs his proffit. As for the seats, polish them with Q tips and chrome polish. Just don't forget to flush them out with carb cleaner from both directions, spraying into the seat/out the fuel line, and into the fuel line/ out the seat.
                          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Actually TC, Parts'nMore has a $30 minimum order.
                            Tony, my bike is an 82 XJ. I think 80 and 81 XS is the same. Thanks!
                            I don't think I have any of the later ones. Most of my spares are for 78 & 79 models.

I put a set of the parts&more valves in a 80 Special I sold last year and they were good quality.

Tony

Comment

Thanks anyway, Tony. I think I'll probably just break down and buy a whole new set of needles and seats from the guy in New Zealand on eBay. I may have to wait a little while tho, as I missed the last set and he doesn't have any listed right now. I figure with my luck I'll buy just needles and they'll still leak, so I'll take the safest way out and just replace everything and be done with it. I've put this much time and energy into this so there's no sense in half-assing it now. My dad was a toolmaker, and he always said, "If you're going to do the job, do it right the first time and you won't have to do it again!" I've always thought that was good advice.........
                              John
                              82 XJ1100J
                              "eXJunk"

Comment

Working...
                              X