help needed wiring 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help needed wiring 101

I have a dream to revive and customize my partser bike 78E. But first I want to see if it will run. I have never had it running (never tried) and the po didn't either. Most of the wiring connectors are weathered, broken and brittle. The fuse box is an abortion and there is evidence that the wiring has been tampered with for trailer towing. My request is simple...I hope. What is the bare minimum wiring required to run the engine? ie: just ignition....no lights, no accessories, just to get it to run? If it runs, I'll get to the other electrical stuff later. I have a Clymers manual, so if someone can tell me what circuit(s) to rewire to get it to run, I'll give it a try. Alternatively, if somebody has a basic custom wiring schematic they are willing to share, that would be XSellent!
    Dennis

Re: help needed wiring 101

I'll take a stab at it: Bood batery, main switch (key), Main fuse (30 amp), ignition fuse, Kill swich not grounded out, Ignition box, pick-up coils, plug wires and coils, Balast resistor (pre 81). It will run without a good charging system...for a while.

Originally posted by dntemp_ca
    My request is simple...I hope. What is the bare minimum wiring required to run the engine?
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

well i have already made my own ignition/engine/charging system, wiring for the xj1100j motor that im putting in my golf cart, basically i just got a wiring diagram and with my "expertise" I sorted out everything and narrowed it down to only what HAD to be on the engine, here i''l post this pic of my version, this is for a 1982 XJ1100J Maxim not anything past that, no others will work with this i think but itll give you an idea, i dd remove some safety items but obviously they have to be bypassed when being installed in a golf cart, by the way i have to say thanks to all the help and euch i have received from this great site! I cant wait to get my yamaha/golf cart project done and send in some pics,
      I Can envision it now, a slight change with the BMW saying....

YAMAHA XJ1100J Golf Cart
      The Ultimate Golfing Machine.

anyways heres my modified version of the diagram....
      its a larger file... sorry!
      REVISED XJ1100J MAXIM WIRING DIAGRAM

ENJOY! It was painstaking and i have the actual harness done, i proabaly removed 15 LBS of wiring! wow that a lot! Lots of extra connecters lying in a box that ill save for any of you xsives!
      ------------------------------------
      Current Projects:
      -1982-1992 Yamaha Ezgo XJ1100 Maxim Project

Comment

cool

glad to hear your so far along. I didn't realize how far you were. I found the starter selinoid if you need it? PM or e-mail me,(it's your if needed.)
        1982 XJ 1100
        going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
        now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Thanks for the diagram, XJ. That gives me a good idea on what's needed. Man, you're gonna have the hottest golf cart in the country!
          Dennis

Comment

yeah i hope so, even if its not the fastest , itl still be the coolest because the engines an XJ! The electrics died ont eh EZGO Golf cart (yeah i know should used a yammie but oh well work with what you have) anyways got the engine from my cousins cousin, who had it sitting for probly over 10 years in his heated shop. He just gave it too me. had too buy some electrical but oh well money being spent well, in my mind. Thanks for the comments though dont use that diagram i have a better one that ill send out to ya later, that ones not as cleaned up.
            ------------------------------------
            Current Projects:
            -1982-1992 Yamaha Ezgo XJ1100 Maxim Project

Comment

If you intend to repair the wiring on your bike, check out Mike's XS. He has a lot of connector plugs, associated pins, sockets, and tooling. Parts 'N More has a replacement fuse box.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Working...
              X