Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Installation Tool

Hey all,

I would venture to guess that I'm not the only one who has trouble installing the carbs...having read about the "carb shimmy" in an earlier post, I thought I'd mention my 'secret weapon' for carb installation. Since I have the original airbox on one of my bikes, it's a real pain to put the carbs back in. I use a "Cotter Pin Extractor" to guide the rubber back over the carbs. It works really well. It now takes me about 5 mins to reinstall carbs vs. the 20 mins it used to take. Best of all, I don't need WD-40 anymore! The hardest part now is getting them lined up into position. After that, it's easy sailing.

The extractors I've seen are basically a dull awl with a couple of funky kinks in them. They have a 90 degree kink at the end and another smaller kink between the 90 and the handle. You may have one already and just never known what they were for. They're often sold in a package with other screwdrivers. They do sell them individually at Sears though.

If you're having trouble putting carbs back in, get yourself one of these things. You still have to muscle the carbs past the airbox and rubber boots, but it's easier when you know you won't have to fight the "carb shimmy" when you're done.

'82 XJ1100J-John
    '78 XS1100E-Name Forthcoming (It's a Girl!)

I've never had a problem getting my carbs on or off. I have the stock airbox. Om the triple site they made it sound even worse. Casrbs on wifes XS750F were just as easy. Put a chrome air filter (replaces the stock box) and it's even easier, I guess like pod filters. Still the stock box has never been a problem.
    Hardest part for me is attaching the throttle cable. Needle-nose pliers work the best.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Try attaching the cable when you have the carbs half way in, and the linkage is easy to reach. That is if you put them in from the left side. Very easy.

Comment

I feel like kicking myself in the ass every time I forget that step! You know what is worse...I did a complete install and then noticed that the diaphragm springs were still on the bench! OK, that only happened once.

Originally posted by John
        Try attaching the cable when you have the carbs half way in, and the linkage is easy to reach. That is if you put them in from the left side. Very easy.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Pat, try it on an XJ sometime and you'll see what we're talking about! They use a whole different airbox system than the XS, and it gives you much less room to work. And with the XS you can do the "remove the bottom of the box" trick to gain room. Not possible on the XJ. There's just no easy way to do it. Yes, the hooked tool that Jon mentions does make it easier to get the boots back on the intakes of the carbs( I did that last time), but it's still a PITA to get 'em in and out.
          John
          82 XJ1100J
          "eXJunk"

Comment

Working...
          X