650 wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 650 wheels

Anybody know one way or the other if a set of wheels off a 1981 650 Midnight Maxim will fit on my 1980 1100lg. I have them and without breaking the lg down an mikeing bearings and axels, they look the same size. The front rim on the 650 only has one disc but both sides are drilled and tapped to accept the disc.
    The 650 rims have the curved casting like on the 1981 xs1100. I'd like to swap them out.
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
    1981 LH

Front wheel will fit, but rear will not, because the 650 is chain drive and the 1100 is shaft. Use your 650 front, and an 81 MS or 82XJ wheel to match. Also check out the XS 750 and 850. The later years might have the curved spokes
    put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
    79 F (Blueballs)
    79 SF (Redbutt)
    81 LH (organ donor)
    79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
    76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
    rover has spoken

Comment

I must not have described the 650 correctly. It is a 1981, shaft drive inline 4 cylinder. it looks just like the 1981 xs11 midnight. on the picture page of this site. http://www.xs11.com/pix/81lh-ad2.jpg
      The wheel size looks the same. Same tire size but i'm not sure about internally. I'm at home now and the bike is at work but now that I'm thinking about it, i think the rear wheel has a drum brake.
      Last edited by dpotter58; 09-10-2004, 03:57 PM.
      "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

1980 LG
      1981 LH

Comment

O K, I thought you were talking about an XS650. Most of Yamaha's shaft drives shared most of the parts. This is a nice looking bike, and it does have disk rear brakes, so they might fit. There is one way to find out, and I think you know what that is, try it.
        put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
        79 F (Blueballs)
        79 SF (Redbutt)
        81 LH (organ donor)
        79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
        76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
        rover has spoken

Comment

The curved spoke wheels from an XJ 11 look really good on the Xs, and they are a direct bolt on. The correct size too. I have them on my 80 sg.

http://community.webshots.com/user/john80sg
          Look at pic # 019_17A, heck look at all of them while you're there.

Comment

Thanks. I did look at it. Big Bore? How ya like it?

1980 LG
            1981 LH

Comment

It runs great, but every now and then a bug will pop up. Right now it seems to be oil leaks at some of the new gasket joints. Looks like I'll have to be a little more generous with the Yamabond. It'll pull a wheelie now

Comment

wheelie

did you mean BIGGER,LONGER wheelie now
                1982 XJ 1100
                going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Working...
                X