XJ Repair Manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ Repair Manual

Has anyone other than Yamaha ever printed a repair manual for the XJ1100J? If so, who?

I'm trying to decide if I should just get the Yamaha one or hold out for another publisher's version on Ebay.

Thanks!

'82 XJ1100J-John
    '78 XS1100E-Name Forthcoming (It's a Girl!)

try cd version

I believe rocjoc has it for your computer. 10 american and iirc donates the money to local animal shelter. It contains a wealth of info.xs-XJ. Jerry help me out here.
    1982 XJ 1100
    going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
    now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

No other publisher put out an XJ manual. The XS manuals cover some items, but the XJ has different electronics, charging system, and other differences and having the correct manual is worth the effort of locating one.

I have a factory manual, paid about $45.00 for it, part number is LIT-11616-02-78.

I also have Rockjoc's cd, which has the XJ manual (and several others) on it. Rather than reprint all the relevant information, click on this link:
      Rockjoc's CD

Only $10.00, a terrific value. Plus you can print out individual pages when you need to have them near the bike. You also get the parts microfiche to look up assembly and part numbers.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

So the $10 cd contains the Yamaha manual?

'82 XJ1100J-John
        '78 XS1100E-Name Forthcoming (It's a Girl!)

Comment

Jon, Yamaha is the only manual out there. The CD has info on practically all XS-XSJ's. Buy it. $10 bucks is a good deal.

Comment

When I got my XJ, it came with the Clymer XS manual, which is a good manual, just not real helpful for the XJ. I have Rockjoc's cd, but I also got lucky and found an actual Yamaha XJ Service Manual on eBay last year. The cd is a great reference, but I'm still glad I have the hard copy too.
            John
            82 XJ1100J
            "eXJunk"

Comment

Just out of curiosity, if I pay $60 to YAMAHA for an XS1100 service manual, what do I get? Is it a big stack of books? I'm waiting for the CD to arrive. I hope it is user friendly.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Assuming the XS manual is about the same as the XJ, you pays your money to Yamaha and gets a manual about 1/2 - 3/4 inch thick. Note: the manual does not have part numbers. It does have procedures and specs. I like having both the manual and the CD; between the 2 just about any project can be attempted on your XS or XJ.

In fact I also have the XJ Owner's Manual in addition to the CD and Service Manual, so am pretty well covered with documentation. Also have an original XJ1100J-specific sales brochure.

Get the CD at a minimum, and keep on the lookout for a service manual on eBay. There were a couple XJ manuals listed last week or so, didn't keep tabs on them, prices were in the mid-$20 with some time left.

What Rockjoc did was to scan, and get from others, scans of several service manuals and supplements, microfiche, and related info (Vetter fairing stuff) and put it onto a sincle CD. Trememdous amount of work, and a tremendous reference for all of the rest of us! At $10 this is a bargain, and should be in any owner's possession.

The paper manual is nice to have as it is easier to read and flip back and forth (CD has each page as a separate file) and as noted in another post it is nice to have both references. Tbe CD is great for printing out individual pages to get greasy while working on your bike. Get both if you can, get the CD at a minimum. At least one vendor, Zanotti Motors, will give a bit extra discount if you have the part numbers at hand when you call or e-mail them for pricing, a nice extra touch.
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.

Comment

XJ owners manual

That's something that I would still like to get for my XJ. I don't know off-hand if the CD has the owners manual, but I'd still like to have an actual paper copy.
                  John
                  82 XJ1100J
                  "eXJunk"

Comment

The CD does not have the Owner's Manual. Yamaha lists it as No Longer Available, so you need to scrounge one from a boneyard or get one on eBay. Someday I might try scanning mine, but it is still in storage with a lot of other stuff, and scanning project is not likely to happen soon.
                    Jerry Fields
                    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                    '06 Concours
                    My Galleries Page.
                    My Blog Page.

Comment

Working...
                    X