so what problems do we have left?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so what problems do we have left?

instead of getting a new bike, i have decided to spend some money restoring my XS - which got me to thinking:

in what ways can I upgrade/modify my bike to accept newer & more readily available parts before it becomes a real problem.

a couple come to mind

1 - the 'big' rear wheel bearing. would like to find a way to fit a different (bigger) rear wheel.

2 - stator ??

3 - black box / regulator - would like to remove these components altogether.

Hey there Beech,

I see alot of folks have looked, but nobody has commented or added to your list!

I wanted to open a discussion about the alleged benefits of larger tires, vs. possible detriments!

For argument's sake, 600lb bike, 200lb rider, 800b total, divided by 2 wheels=400lbs. Rear tire footprint, 2" x 4" = 8 square inches. Gives you 50 lbs per square inch pressure!

Now, let's say you got that mondo fat tire, so the contact patch spreads to 4" wide x 5" long = 20 square inches divided into same 400lbs, you now have ONLY 20 lbs per square inch of pressure!

So....although you have increased the contact size, you have decreased the square inch area pressure by more than half!! In dry weather it shouldn't be a problem, but in wet weather, it's like putting a big ski under your bike....much easier to hydroplane vs. the smaller tire that can push down harder, pressing the water out from inbetween the treads, keeping the tire in contact with the road. It's much easier to ski and stay atop the water on large wide skis than your barefeet!

Okay, my thoughts, any counterpoints!?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

280's

thats all good and well ....but, i would still like a big stinkin 280 series tire on the back of my xj ! with chain drive bump up the H.P. to about 225 before NoS....Ya Ya then i woke up. It can't hurt to dream can it?
      1982 XJ 1100
      going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
      now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Why not just buy a VMAX?
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F