Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brake Master Cylinder RE-assembly Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Master Cylinder RE-assembly Question...

Help!

I had a he11 of a time getting the horse-shoe clip that retains the plunger, out of the master cylinder.

While I was re-assembling the whole works, the horse shoe clip appeared to clip into place... However, I'm starting to think it may have slipped into the slot for the dust boot retainer*, if there is one.

Does anyone here remember if there are two slots for the clips to snap into? One for the dust boot clip and one for the horse shoe clip? Or is there only a single slot for the horse shoe clip and the dust boot retainer doesn't have a slot?

I hate to have to remove the clip, as it took a while to get it out, and I hate to try pushing it further, as I don't want to break anything.

Please advise,

Thanks
    ClutchSmoke

*Dust boot - That rubber boot that surround the end of the plunger the brake lever presses on.)

Master Cylinders

Clutchsmoke, I do not remember any more than one lock ring groove at the mouth of the master cylinder. If it is seated I would definitely leave it alone.
    Remember to bench bleed the cylinder before mounting on the bars and attempting to bleed on the bike. It usually makes the job go a lot easier.
    Watch out for brake fluid on your tank or any other painted surfaces. It is wise to cover the tank with a sheet of plastic or something. While bleeding have the top of the master at least sitting over the reservoir. On the return stroke the master will sometimes spit back so don't be looking down inside as you bleed.
    Ken/Sooke
    78E Ratbyk
    82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

Ken is right, there is only one groove that the circlip could seat into:
      [IMG]/forum/images/tips/20040908-dscf0659.jpg[/IMG]
      The dustboot is not really retained - it just fits snugly in the bore above the groove.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

Hey!

You guys are TOTALLY AWESOME.

I will bench bleed that sucker, with my shop goggles on.

(woohoo... I'll be burnin' rubber once again tonight.)

THANKS

Comment

Master Cylinder

Hay Ken, another happy customer. I don't know if it will be clutch smoke or tire smoke!
          Ken/Sooke

Comment

Working...
          X