blinkers dont blink.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blinkers dont blink.

First of all, thanks for the multitude of helpfull advice in the past.

Now, when i start the bike, or if its off the turn signals dont blink, they just stay on. Occasionally i get a click out of 'em but they mostly just stay on. Forgive the amazingly technical words but the silver drum looking thing on the right side of the bike that clicks when the sgnals blink. yea that thing, (flasher unit) if i tap on it a little it makes the signals blink. This problem has been getting worse, it used to blink consistantly last year, now its dead. i tried getting an flasher unit designed for a car but it didnt work. any advice. should i try to replace it or does somthing else smell rotten.

Take the covers off. Remove the lamps. Do you see any corrosion? Look at the sockets. Corrosion? Clean it up. Make sure all of the lamps are the same part number. Make sure the lamps all work.

I hope this helps.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

The lamps are all new, so are the housings and wiring. I ended up using a flasher unit meant for a car, attached some wires and connected them to the right spots in the original harness. Works great now.

Comment

When you say you attached some wires in the original harness, what do you mean? I'm in the process of replacing my flasher module...do I need to swap some wires for the car flasher to work?

'82 XJ1100J-John
        '78 XS1100E-Name Forthcoming (It's a Girl!)

Comment

One more thing, I can see that there was once text printed on the side of the flasher relay, but I can't make it out. Does it have an electrical diagram telling which leads are which? I can get the lights to come on when I short out the new relay...middle leg to one of the other legs. I'm guessing it's a different arrangement and all I need to do is reroute the wires into the plug.

'82 XJ1100J-John

Comment

Ok, Never mind, I found an old thread about turn signals and figured out I need the 2 prong instead of 3 prong flasher unit. Voila, for $2.28 at Wal-Mart, problem solved...

Thanks everybody!

'82 XJ1100J-John

Comment

Jon, While we are on this subject, most older bikes come with Japanese made Stanley bulbs which have somewhat lower wattages than more modern turn signal bulbs. It isn't unusual for the stock (OEM) relay to puke when using modern 1156 or 1157 bulbs. The rate of flashing will be way off or they will just stay on. If you have this problem, instead of using the two prong regular auto flasher relay that costs about $3, try using a "heavy duty" two prong flasher relay. Somewhere on the packaging, it will talk about use with trailers and such. These heavy duty relays can compensate for voltage differences in bulbs. They look about the same but will cost about $7 instead of the $3 for the regular one. They are also cylinder shaped and have the L type two prong set up.
              wiredgeorge
              WG CARBS! Mico TX
              wgcarbs@allvantage.com
              http://members.ebay.com/ws2/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=wiredgeorge

Comment

Working...
              X