SS Brake lines - Brake system improvments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SS Brake lines - Brake system improvments

Hello all, I'm a new/old guy (was a part of the original XS list formation in the early-mid 90's, but have been away for a while.) I posted a hello in the lounge.

After riding a ZG 1000 (Kawasaki Concours), and Triumph Sprint ST for the last few years, I've simplified, and cut the herd down to 2.

This brings me back to my original love, my XS 1100SF "Visitation" as my primary ride. I can live with the difference in handling, but almost killed myself the other day as I blew through a stop sign

I know I'll never get the XS brakes up to the above mentioned bikes, but I'm looking to improve the braking power. Here is my plan, and I'll take any advice and input. I know this list is innovative, and a great XSive brain trust!

I plan to resurface the rotors (basically deglaze them), get grippier pads, and replace the front lines with SS lines and obviously the fluid. If this doesnt give what I want in terms of feel and power, I may rebuild the Master cyl.

So where do I find SS lines, and does anybody have input on what pads provide best /better grip? I hjave standard EBC on them (I think, they are 4-5 years old)

Thanks all, and is great to be back.
    Steve Pratel
    1979 XS 110SF "Visitation"
    1977 XS 650 "Bulldog"
    2002 Saab 9-3
    1982 Saab 900 APC Turbo

ss lines

as far as the ss brake lines find randy from this forum. he makes the ss lines for our bikes.everyone who has used them says their great. much improvement. sorry no info on brake pads. drop randy a pm. i'm sure he'll chime in sooner or later.
    when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
    80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

Pratel, a yamaha XS1100 has got good front brakes when they're in top condition. Nothing wrong with them. Chances are yours are contaminated with greasy sludgy stuff. Just a matter of stripping, cleaning and polishing. I'd splash out on new pads at the same time. Hard sintered metal pads aren't needed either.

Braided front lines are the way to go, they're more powerful. BUT the rubber hose setup can still be good as well.

Comment

SS Brake Lines

Pratel, Randy Rago is the way to go. (God, didn't know I was poetic)
        Go to members at the top of this page. Hunt down Randy and send him a private Email. I have used his lines on two different bikes brakes and on an oil cooler. Reasonable service, good product.
        Ken/Sooke
        78E Ratbyk
        82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

Contact Michael "Mercury" Morse at http://www.vintagebrake.com or the same contact at http://www.650central.com. He can help you with the brakes including blanchard grind of your rotors and/or Ferodo pads.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

I got s/s lines from Randy R.. They realy helped w/ the mushy brakes. I had thought of rebuilding the masters & the calipers, but the improvemnet is such that I won't until winter (if then).
            Ken
            '79 xs1100f
            '79 xs1100sf

Comment

Working...
            X