Is an Oil Cooler a good idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is an Oil Cooler a good idea?

When I purchased my XS1100SF I was given 3 large boxes of spare and duplicate parts. While going through the box over the weekend I found an oil cooler minus the hoses. Is there a big advantage in installing this (I know it cools the oil). Is this a problem in the XS1100SF. I e-mailed the old gentleman that restored the bike and he said he took it off because he didn't like the way it looked. I also came across a very nice tail light and bracket for what looks to be a 79 XS1100 Standard. Let me know if anyone needs it. There is a small amount of rust on the bracket but the lens is in perfect shape and looks great....Thanks
    "There are old bikers, and there are bold bikers, but there are no old bold bikers."

Good

oil cooler is always a good idea.Cage ,bike, towing vehical etc. You can't go wrong with one.Less break down of oil = better lubrication=longer running vehical = longer lasting parts.
    1982 XJ 1100
    going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
    now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

You will get differing opinions as to the usefullness of an oil cooler on these machines. Some feel there is a benefit, others don't. I personally feel that any heat that can be disapated means a cooler running engine.

As to the oil cooler you found, there is actually 2 parts to it, 3 if you count the hoses. There should be a round plate that mounts to the engine. It would mount between the engine and the oil filter housing with a special hollow bolt, threaded to accept the bolt that holds the oil filter housing on.
      Brian
      1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
      1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
      remembering the same thing!

Comment

how does an oil cooler work? doesnt it need water to cool, like on a diesel engine?

does my '79xs1100 have one? i'm intruiged now.
        1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

no it acts just as the radiator in a car does.

the oil passes through tubes connected to many small fins. air passing through the fins cools the tubes/oil.

your bike likely does not have one.

Comment

An oil cooler in this application is basicly an oil radiator. Air flows thru and around the fins and tubes in the oil cooler, and takes heat away from the oil as it flows thru the cooler. It's actually an oil-to-air cooler.
            John
            82 XJ1100J
            "eXJunk"

Comment

Cooler Oil = Cooler oil temps & higher oil pressure. It can also allows oil to retain it's viscosity longer before breakdown. These combined benefits translate into longer engine life.

If you have the cooler and the engine mount plate, the hoses and clamps can be bought at an auto parts store.

My 79-factory Touring model came with Lockhart oil cooler and oil temp and pressure gauges. The results of having a cooler show up in higher pressure readings and lower oil temps.
              Bubba1954
              (aka) Shannon Koehn
              Hutchinson, KS
              http://www.fototime.com/inv/0EE87CEC5C8C774

Comment

Working...
              X