Removing rust from Chrome exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing rust from Chrome exhaust

I have several small rust sports on my exhaust pipes toward the back. Is there a safe way to get the light rust off? I don't want to use anything too harsh and risk scratching the pipes. I'll take the light rust spots over scratched chrome any day.

thanks
    "There are old bikers, and there are bold bikers, but there are no old bold bikers."

Back in the day when Simonize used to make a chrome polish, now it's TURTLE WAX brand, it used to work fairly well at removing or minimizing or at least changing the color of the rust from rusty brown to black!? So, try a chrome polish first, they are not abrasive!!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Rusted Chrome

I have found that once rust gets into something that you cannot stop it. "BUT" you can slow it down. Rust is caused by moisture and the oxygen in the air. Remove either and you slow rust down.
      Suggest that you rub the affected area with a course rag and lots of WD40. This seems to remove the surface rust almost back to real metal. Then wash the affected area with paint reducer/rubbing alcohol/some solvent that does not leave a residue. Just as soon as the solvent dries you have to seal the affected area with something to prevent the oxygen in the air from getting back at it.
      A good coat of wax/a coat of silver paint/anything that seals the area from oxygen and moisture.
      This not a permanent repair. You will have to go back on a regular basis to reseal the area. Because as soon as moisture and oxygen can get past your barrier the rust will start again.
      Have fun and don't get any crap in your eyes.
      Ken/Sooke

Comment

Start off with some three ought (#000) steel wool for the heavier sections. Then use five ought (#00000) to apply the polish. Let dry and buff to a lusterous shine. You won't be disappointed with the results.
        I am a rhinoceros and my skin is three feet thick.
        //////////////WARSENAULT/////////////

Comment

Mothers Milk or Eagle One polish. That is what it is for...
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

remove rust and polish at the same time

NEVR-DULL by eagle one. the best tar and rust remover/polisher i've ever seen. it comes in a tin and looks similar to cotton pull a small piece off and go to town, it doesn't take much to get the job done so the tin lasts a long time. i've been using the same one that i bought five years ago and it's only half way gone.
            " if you want it different, chop it up."
            C.A. Kustoms

Comment

Most old military guys will remember Never Dull, and another good one to try would be Brass-O.
              If it don't move, polish it. If it does move, salute it.

Comment

Another product to try is Rub N'Buff Silverleaf, to treat the rusted areas. Remove the rust as best as you can, with a rust dissolver like WD40, clean that with brake clean, and rub in the RNB. Just helped SWMBO treat some rusted scratches on the mufflers on her FJ1100. It worked great. Do a search for Rub N' Buff. It has been discussed here in great length.

Comment

Thanks for all the GREAT advice. Looks like we'll be in the mist of Frances (wind and rain) for the next few days. I'll have plenty of time to clean the rust since I will not be riding.
                  I did buy some Rub N Buff Silver and it is an AWESOME product. I've only applyed it to a few places on the motor but it looks nice.
                  "There are old bikers, and there are bold bikers, but there are no old bold bikers."

Comment

I've been using DuPont #7 Chrome polish for years and never found anything better for cleaning up rust on chrome. For heavier rust, try the DuPont rubbing compound.

But as one member noted, once you have rust, it will always be there - all you can do is slow it down.
                    Rick
                    '80 SG
                    '88 FXR
                    '66 Spitfire MK II

Comment

Myth Busters

The Myth Busters TV show did a segment on rust removal and I think they found that Coca-Cola was the winner. They just pup it on and let it set for a few minutes. Of corse, they didn't use any professional products in the test. I love that show.
                      Bill Murrin
                      Nashville, TN
                      1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
                      1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
                      2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
                      2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
                      1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
                      2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Bill's right. Coke is great for this problem. Coke bottlers even use the concentrate to clean their engines. It's full of things like muraic acid and phosphoric acid.

Try rubbing the coke in with a crumpled up piece of aluminum foil. That's what i've always used. I guess aluminum is softer than chrome, so it wont scratch it.
                        1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

Working...
                        X