xs11 special fuel sys query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xs11 special fuel sys query

Greetings, new member here, have been studying the webpage for about a month....great stuff!
    Recently purchased a '79 XS11 Special, cleaned her up, rebuilt carbs etc. The other day I went for a ride and it started "surging"...loss of power then return of power. This happened after the battery had died on a long ride(generator?)
    I plan to check the generator because it died again after I got it come an took it for a short ride. Battery is good(new). When it dies, it has electrical power, but not enough. Any thoughts???
    Additionally, any pros vs. cons on removing the vacuum operated fuel diaphram? I was going to remove it vs replacing it due to cost, availability and generally pain in the ass.......

EXTRA: I replaced the rubber washers in my fuel petcocks for 50cents each! Purchase neoprene/rubber fender washers of a similar size (50 cents @ Ace Hardware) use the old gasket to guide trimming the new one to size. I used a leather punch to punch the 4 feed holes in the new gasket and the center hole in the new gasket to line everything up. Be very careful/exacting and use a very sharp blade when trimming. Works great!

The Pro to having the Octopus is that it automatically shuts off the gas when you turn off the engine. The Con is that there are a lot of fuel lines to get in the way.
    Bill Murrin
    Nashville, TN
    1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
    1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
    2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
    2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
    1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
    2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Working...
    X