Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical or Ignition Issue

Hello to all,

I am new to this forum. I have a 1980 XS 1100 Midnight Special. It has always been a sound bike intil just recently. I had stored it for two years. A month ago I took it to a shop to get it running. Tune up Brakes New Battery etc. It started and ran great after coming out of the shop.

I then moved to Las Vegas I did not ride it for about three weeks until I put new plate on it. The morning I went to get the plate it started right up. I rode about 2 miles to DMV and it sat for about 90 minutes.

Getting tags in Las Vegas is a nightmare any where from 90 minutes to 4 hours.

Any way after getting the plate it started right up. I then rode for about five miles then parked it for about 3 hours. When I went to start it I turned the key to ON, yet not start nothing the green nuetral light did not come on nothing.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this is happening.

Thanks
    Kelsey
    knclark

Main fuse

Hi Kelsey,
    No power, nothin'?
    A total power failure like you describe is an open circuit somewhere.
    First check the obvious, did the killswitch get turned off? Sometimes helpful passers-by do this.
    If not, check the main 30 Amp fuse. It's hidden behind the leftside cover. It it ain't blown it has been known for that fuse holder to lose it's grip on the fuse and open the circuit.
    Fred Hill, S'toon.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Main fuse

you might want to check your main fuse it is under the seat if im not mistaken in a red holder. Or under the left side cover im not sure where it is on the midnight. HTH...........MITCH
      Doug Mitchell
      82 XJ1100 sold
      2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
      2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
      1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
      47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

What about the battery? Could the new battery have been charged and since there is a problem with the charging system the battery is now dead. Just a thought...Happened to me.
        "There are old bikers, and there are bold bikers, but there are no old bold bikers."

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Battery has a charge and main fuse is good and securely in place. Any other ideas?

Kelsey
          knclark

Comment

If you are sure you have battery voltage and fuse is good then check ground/negative cable from battery. First check connection at battery then follow cable to where it fastens to frame. The connection at frame should be loosened apart and cleaned.
            Might also want to check positive connections while your at it.
            XJ1100 Ruby Red
            XS1100LH "Midnight"
            1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Comment

Originally posted by knclark
              Thanks for the advice. Battery has a charge and main fuse is good and securely in place. Any other ideas?

Kelsey
              Replace the main fuse anyway. Sometimes a fuse will look good but be broken inside on one end.

Geezer
              Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Mine did that a couple of years ago. Rode for a few years after I bought it and one day when I got out of work I had nothing, no neutral light, no horn, nothing, completely dead. Turned out the fuses had tiny bit of corrosion on the points of contact with the fuse holders. I checked the main fuse, it looked good, but I took it out and wiped it clean, wiped the fuse terminals off and they broke. All the fuse terminals were corroded so bad that as I pulled the other fuses to check the terminals fell off the fuse box. I jumped them all just to get home and replaced all the fuses and terminals.

See the MODs page for a couple of nifty replacement fuse panels.
                Marty in NW PA
                Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                This IS my happy face.

Comment

My 79sf did that about a year or so ago. I just jiggled the key a few time, Cussed her out, threatened to kick her out and she fired right up
                  S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                  1-big XS patch
                  1-small XS/XJ patch
                  1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                  1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                  2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                  1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                  1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

My sugestion

MartyA I didn't see you were you there.
                    Turned out the fuses had tiny bit of corrosion on the points of contact with the fuse holders. I checked the main fuse, it looked good, but I took it out and wiped it clean, wiped the fuse terminals off and they broke. All the fuse terminals were corroded so bad that as I pulled the other fuses to check the terminals fell off the fuse box.
                    Do the mod on the main fuse block they are notorious for leaving you stranded.
                    There's always a way, figure it out.
                    78XS11E

Comment

I see Parts 'N More has a reproduction fuse box for the XS1100. My XS650 started losing its grip on the fuses after 20 years. I just put a reproduction unit in it a few weeks ago. It was easy. The problem it see with it is that is just like the original, so in another 20 years or so, I'll have to do it again!
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

Sometimes gel-type batteries fail suddenly when they get old. I had it happen to me.
                        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                        X